Government to hold 51 percent stake in public banksSeptember 14th, 2008 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 14 (IANS) In an attempt to ward off public sector banks unions’ proposed two-day strike, the government Sunday promised to retain 51 percent stake and not to privatise control and management of state-owned banks.“The government does not propose to transfer control and management of public sector banks to the private sector,” said a statement by the finance ministry.
Earlier, the United Forum of Bank Unions (UFBU) called for the strike Sep 24-25 to protest against privatisation and merger of public sector banks.
“It has been made clear that the government will hold not less than 51 percent of the equity in the public sector banks and their public sector character will be preserved,” the ministry said.
The UFBU, an apex forum representing nine unions and associations of employees and officers of the public sector banks, has also demanded expeditious implementation of the memorandum of understanding between themselves and the Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) on important issues like pension option, compassionate appointment and wage revision.
The government has taken no decision as yet on the recommendations of committees headed by Raghuram Rajan and Anwarul Hoda related to the development of the financial services sector.
Terming the proposed strike “uncalled for and unjustified”, the ministry said strike would cause “great inconvenience to the public as an estimated number of eight million persons visit the branches of public sector banks on an average working day”.
The government also urged “the IBA and UFBU to expeditiously arrive at a mutually satisfactory settlement”, and expressed the hope that the UFBU would finally call off the proposed strike.
- Bank employees to strike work Aug 5 - Aug 01, 2011
- Bank employees to strike work July 7 - Jun 21, 2011
- Bank staff plans strike against privatisation (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Bank staff plans strike against privatisation, law changes - Jun 28, 2011
- Banking services hit in northeast India - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank strike hits financial sector in India (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank unions to strike Friday - Aug 03, 2011
- India's banking industry hit by nationwide staff strike - Aug 05, 2011
- Banking activity in Bengal comes to standstill - Aug 22, 2012
- India's banking operations hit by nationwide staff strike (Roundup) - Aug 05, 2011
- Banker's strike enters second day, operations affected - Aug 07, 2009
- Banking activities in Bengal likely to be crippled for two days - Aug 22, 2012
- Banking services in Bengal paralysed for second day - Aug 23, 2012
- Bank operations come to a standstill, as employees go on a two day strike - Aug 06, 2009
- All India bank strike postponed - Jun 30, 2011