Government questioned on school’s refusal to admit poorFebruary 1st, 2011 - 11:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 1 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Tuesday sought a response from the central and Delhi governments on a plea opposing a private school’s refusal to reserve seats for poor students claiming exemption from provisions of the right to education law.Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw issued the notice to the human resource development ministry and the directorate of education, Delhi government, and sought their replies by March 30.
The court was hearing a plea by Social Jurists, an NGO, which opposed the stand taken by Carmel Convent School and sought an order rejecting the school’s argument against reserving seats for poor children under the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act.
Appearing for the NGO, counsel Ashok Aggarwal said: “Under section 12 of the Act it is obligatory for all unaided private schools to give admission to poor children and the provisions relating to reservation of seats for them.”
After hearing the argument, the court fixed March 30, as the next date of hearing.
- Nursery admissions on course as court reserves order (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Fill vacant seats for poor students in summer vacations: Court - Apr 20, 2012
- Court notice to 12 private hospitals in Delhi - Aug 08, 2012
- Court notice on pre-primary classes in state-run schools - Sep 06, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi government on pre-school admissions - Nov 02, 2011
- Nursery admissions on course as court reserves order - Jan 18, 2012
- Court allows nursery admissions at 3-plus (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Court refuses to stay toddlers' admission in Delhi schools (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Delhi court allows nursery admissions at 3-plus - Jan 27, 2012
- NGO challenges government's order on nursery admissions - Dec 19, 2011
- Court allows nursery admissions at 3-plus (Second Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Court refuses to stay toddlers' admission in Delhi schools - Dec 21, 2011
- Right to education law, spectrum scam top apex court's agenda - Mar 13, 2011
- Government's view sought on poor students' admission to KVs - Mar 10, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi over right to education (Lead) - Oct 19, 2011
Tags: aggarwal, ashok, carmel convent, compulsory education act, convent school, delhi government, delhi high court, development ministry, directorate of education, directorate of education delhi, education law, human resource development, jurists, law justice, ngo, poor students, private school, private schools, rajiv, sahai