Government questioned on plea on bureaucrats (Lead)August 8th, 2011 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 8 (IANS) The Supreme Court Monday gave the central and state governments another four weeks to file their replies on a petition seeking fixed tenure for bureaucrats and insulating them from political pressures.
Justice Dalveer Bhandari and Justice Deepak Verma gave two weeks’ time to petitioners, including former cabinet secretary T.S.R. Subramanian, to file their rejoinder once the governments file their response.
The court’s latest direction came after its earlier notice March 5 received replies only from a couple of states.
Besides Subramanian, other petitioners are former ambassador to US Abid Hussain, former chief election commissioners T.S. Krishna Murthy and N. Gopalaswamy, former Manipur governor Ved Prakash Marwah and 78 other officials who belonged to the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS) and Indian Police Service (IPS).
The petitioners have sought the court’s directions making it mandatory for the bureaucrats to put down in writing all the instructions and suggestion they get from their administrative and political bosses, legislators and commercial and business interests or from those wielding influence in the corridors of power.
They have sought for directions to the centre and state governments to implement the recommendations of the Hota Committee report on civil service reforms, the administrative reform commission on central staffing scheme, the Santhanam Committee report on the prevention of corruption, and the Jha Commission report on economic administrative reforms.
The petitioners have said that various committees and commissions have recommended the setting up of an independent civil services board to check arbitrary and frequent transfer of bureaucrats.
The case would be heard next after six weeks.
- Court notice on plea for protecting bureaucrats - Mar 04, 2011
- Supreme Court stays Goa information panel order - Dec 08, 2011
- Civil services English paper has experts' nod, court told - Aug 22, 2012
- SC asks Centre to file CBI report on suspended Prasar Bharati CEO - Apr 01, 2011
- Make Lokpal independent but accountable, say former officials - Dec 18, 2011
- Government, 11 telecom firms get court notice on 2G spectrum (Roundup) - Jan 10, 2011
- Petitioners claim apex court was misled on next army chief (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Supreme Court issues notice to government, 11 firms in 2G saga (Second Lead) - Jan 10, 2011
- Court orders promotional avenues for Tihar jail officer - Nov 17, 2011
- Petitioners claim apex court was misled on next army chief - May 29, 2012
- Apex court takes up 11 women ex-army officers' plea - Aug 11, 2011
- Apex court moved against setting up of Lokpal Bill drafting panel - Apr 18, 2011
- School teachers for disabled: Court questions selection board - Jul 11, 2011
- Supreme Court notices to six Andhra ministers (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- CWG graft: High Court notice to CWG accused - May 04, 2012