Government plans two IIITs in northeastJuly 14th, 2010 - 12:23 am ICT by IANS
Guwahati, July 13 (IANS) The central government Tuesday said it is considering the setting up of two new Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) in the northeastern region.
“The locations are being worked out,” Minister of State for Human Resource Development D. Purandeswari said while addressing the All India Editors Conference on Social and Infrastructure Issues here.
She said that at least 44 new colleges and six engineering colleges will be opened in the northeastern states.
“Out of the 10 new National Institutes of Technology (NIT) proposed to be opened in the country during the 11th Five Year Plan, 6 NITs are proposed to be opened in Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland and Sikkim,” Purandeswari said.
Talking about the government’s aim of increasing the literacy rate, the minister said that right to education act and other flagship literacy programmes will help in bridging the gap.
“At least 70 million non-literates will be made literate to achieve 80 percent literacy. To reduce gender disparity in literacy from 21 percent to 10 percent, 60 million out of the total target of 70 million will be women,” the minister added.
- 10 new NITs approved, northeast gets lion's share - Sep 17, 2009
- 69 percent households gain from rural job scheme - Apr 17, 2011
- Mukherjee has majority support in northeast - Jul 07, 2012
- Telecom facilities to be raised in northeast to spur growth - Jun 18, 2012
- Quake-hit Sikkim puts toll at 23, surveys horror - Sep 19, 2011
- Security, corruption issues in coming northeast polls: Congress - Apr 30, 2012
- RBI to launch schemes for raising credit flow to northeast - May 20, 2011
- Rural poverty alleviation project for northeast approved - Nov 16, 2011
- India asks diaspora to invest in land of 'new opportunities' (Roundup) - Jan 07, 2011
- Open defecation will end in 10 years, says Ramesh - Jun 30, 2012
- Northeast India's first IIIT coming up in Tripura - Jun 08, 2012
- Adult education programme can benefit from literacy drive - Nov 29, 2010
- Alka Yagnik, Javed Akhtar unveil literacy anthem - Sep 04, 2012
- Power crisis grips northeast India: Tripura minister - May 10, 2012
- Indian diaspora invited to invest in northeast - Jan 08, 2011