Government official shot dead in JharkhandOctober 20th, 2008 - 1:28 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Oct 20 (IANS) A government official was killed by unidentified assailants in Palamau district of Jharkhand, police said Monday.The victim Om Prakash Rai was shot dead at his house Sunday night by three men, who arrived on a bike and asked about his identity. Rai, a resident of Bihar, was hit by three bullets while he was talking to a junior engineer Anand Singh. He was rushed to a hospital where he was declared dead.
Rai, an engineer with the Public Health and Engineering Department (PHED), was posted in Husainabad block of Palamau district, around 210 km from here.
“We are investigating the case on two angles. Rai could have developed enemies by not favouring contractors in tender and second reason could be denial of payment of extortion money by him,” a police official told IANS over phone.
He said an intensive combing operation has been launched and bordering areas of districts have been sealed.
Earlier, two engineers of the PHED department left Palamau district after extortion demands by criminals.
The Engineers Association has expressed grief and demanded immediate arrest of the criminals.
- Bihar minister gets Rs.20 lakh extortion demand - Mar 22, 2011
- JD-U leader shot dead in Bihar - Aug 30, 2011
- Two government officials shot dead in Bihar - Mar 02, 2012
- Bank manager shot dead in Jharkhand - Jul 20, 2010
- Rajasthan court orders probe against ex-bureaucrat - May 01, 2012
- Samajwadi Party leader shot dead in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 12, 2011
- Over 7.57 million homes in Bihar lack toilets - Aug 27, 2012
- Extortion angle being probed in Woodland AGM murder case - Jul 23, 2012
- Journalist shot dead in Chhattisgarh - Jan 24, 2011
- Maoist leader arrested in Jharkhand - Jun 09, 2012
- Sketch of Orissa legislator's killer released - Oct 11, 2011
- Delhi police constable dies in road accident - Feb 28, 2012
- Orissa legislator killed by suspected Maoists - Sep 24, 2011
- Cop, engineers, accountant caught taking bribes - Jul 21, 2012
- Bihar doctor dragged out of clinic, shot dead - Sep 14, 2011