Government may not clear India’s cricket tour to PakistanNovember 21st, 2008 - 9:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 21 (IANS) The Indian government is unlikely to clear India’s cricket tour to Pakistan in January in view of the volatile security situation in that country.A highly placed source in the government told IANS Friday that a decision will be taken in two weeks but indicated that the they were unwilling to take the risk of touring strife-torn Pakistan.
“Can you imagine the reaction here if there was even a scratch to someone like Sachin Tendulkar. We asked Pakistan if it is worth the risk,” the source said.
India are to play three Tests, five One-Day Internationals and a Twenty20 game. The Test matches are at Karachi, Rawalpindi and Lahore while the ODIs are to be played at Faisalabad, Lahore, Rawalpindi, Multan and Karachi. The Twenty20 match will be played in Karachi.
Earlier this month, Indian junior hockey team’s tour to Pakistan was also called off citing security fears.
Pakistan cricket has been hit hard by the security situation and that has resulted in the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) running into huge monetary losses.
Earlier in the year, Australia refused to tour Pakistan for a bilateral series on grounds of security and the Champions Trophy in September was also called off after several teams decided against touring Pakistan.
- Abottabad venue for Af-Pak cricket match - May 10, 2011
- ICC may allow local match officials in Pakistan - Mar 07, 2012
- Bangladesh will tour Pakistan: ICC - Apr 15, 2012
- Abbottabad removed as venue of Pakistan-Afghanistan cricket series - May 19, 2011
- Kamran, Razzaq, Younis likely to be axed from Pak squad for West Indies series - Apr 06, 2011
- Ashraf confident Pakistan will host visitors in 2012 - Nov 29, 2011
- Lebanon agrees to play Davis Cup tie in Pakistan - Sep 24, 2011
- Tanvir to lead Pakistan side against Afghanistan - May 18, 2011
- Routine security for Afghanistan-Pakistan cricket series - May 14, 2011
- Pakistan pick new faces for Zimbabwe tour - Jul 28, 2011
- Pakistan hopes to lure cricket teams with foolproof security - Dec 10, 2011
- Pakistan to face Sri Lanka and England in UAE - Jun 21, 2011
- Pakistan to add another Twenty20 event to domestic calendar - Apr 14, 2011
- Indo-Pak cricket series schedule to be released on Sep. 22-23 - Sep 20, 2008
- South Africa agrees to play 'home' series against Pakistan in UAE - May 01, 2010