Government keen to bring Lokpal in this session: KhurshidDecember 19th, 2011 - 6:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 19 (IANS) Law and Justice minister Salman Khurshid Monday said the government wanted to pass the Lokpal bill in the current winter session, but was not doing this under any pressure.
“Our attempt is to bring the bill in this session. We are not doing this under any pressure. Some parties think that there should be more deliberations,” Khurshid told reporters after a high-level meeting on the bill in North Block, where the home and finance ministries are housed.
The minister said the draft of the bill is ready and that it will be presented to the prime minister and cabinet soon.
“The draft is almost ready, now only the cabinet has to go through the draft, which will be done after it is seen by prime minister,” he said.
Asked if it will be presented to the prime minister Monday, the minister evaded a reply. He also did not give any clear indication on whether the winter session may be extended for passing the Lokpal bill.
He added that several officials have been staying up for last three nights to finalise the draft.
“A lot of our officials have not slept for three nights, and I hope this will be the last night that they have to stay awake,” he said.
- Cabinet to discuss Lokpal bill Tuesday, Hazare calls it worthless (Roundup) - Dec 19, 2011
- Cabinet approval for Lokpal bill likely Monday (Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Cabinet to discuss Lokpal Tuesday, Hazare calls it worthless (Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Cabinet approval for Lokpal bill likely Monday - Dec 19, 2011
- Cabinet meet begins, Lokpal not on agenda - Dec 18, 2011
- Government trying for consensus on Lokpal bill - May 14, 2012
- Government not under pressure on Lokpal: Jaiswal - Dec 21, 2011
- Government to bring Lokpal bill in line with constitution (Roundup) - Jul 04, 2011
- Lokpal Bill probably in current session: Khurshid - Mar 26, 2012
- Cabinet approves draft Lokpal bill, PM out of ambit (Lead) - Jul 28, 2011
- PM's all-party meet fails to break Lokpal jam (Lead) - Mar 23, 2012
- Cannot rewrite constitution for Lokpal bill: Chidambaram (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Lokpal panel likely to finalise report Nov 30 - Nov 28, 2011
- Lokpal bill may get cabinet nod Sunday (Lead) - Dec 15, 2011
- Lokpal panel to meet Sep 7 to decide on time limit: Singhvi - Aug 29, 2011