Government invites striking truckers for talksJanuary 10th, 2009 - 4:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 10 (IANS) Transport Minister T.R. Baalu Saturday urged leaders of truckers across the country to come for talks and to end their six-day-old strike that has hit the economy hard.”We want ot impress upon the strikers to kindly call off the strike, come forward (for talks). We are ready to discuss (their demands),” the minister told reporters here.
He said the government had been making the appeal every day. “Even now I am requesting through you (media).”
Asked how talks could take place when strike leaders had been arrested, Baalu insisted that “only a handful of people have been arrested. Other office bearers are there, they can come and discuss with me. They have not been arrested so far”.
At the same time, the minister described as “irrelevant” the demands of truckers which include bringing down the prices of diesel and tyres.
“I am only requesting them to come forward. If you want to have any clarifications, we are here to clarify,” he said. “Even now I am requesting them to come forward, we will discuss.”
- Striking truckers reject minister's plea for talks (Lead) - Jan 10, 2009
- Uproar in parliament over Sri Lanka's 'war crimes' (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Congress-DMK seat-sharing talks inconclusive - Feb 26, 2011
- Lanka resolution: Uproar in parliament, India undecided (Roundup) - Mar 13, 2012
- Striking truckers to meet transport minister - Jan 12, 2009
- DMK snaps alliance with Congress, quits UPA government (Lead) - Mar 05, 2011
- Minister Baalu ready to invoke ESMA to end transporters strike - Jan 10, 2009
- Would have been happy to withdraw support, says angry Mamata (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Indian truckers call off eight-day strike (Roundup) - Jan 12, 2009
- Truckers strike pushes up commodity prices in Delhi, other parts of country - Jan 07, 2009
- Truckers' strike off but normalcy may take another day - Jan 13, 2009
- Diesel price hiked by Rs 5, opposition slams 'anti-people' move (Roundup) - Sep 14, 2012
- Karunanidhi urges parties to back quota bill - Sep 05, 2012
- Baalu to convene meeting on Monday to discuss truckers strike - Jan 11, 2009
- DMK ministers to resign from Union Cabinet tomorrow - Mar 06, 2011