Government invites jewellers for talksApril 4th, 2012 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 4 (IANS) The government Wednesday said it will hold talks with jewellers who have been protesting for the last three weeks against the budgetary proposals to impose one percent excise duty on unbranded jewellery and hike the import duty.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee will meeet representatives of jewellery manufacturers from major cities Friday, an official statement said.
“The concerned associations have been requested to nominate two representatives each for the said meeting,” it said.
Jewellers across the country have been striking ever since the finance minister in the union budget March 16 proposed to levy one percent excise duty on unbranded jewellery and double the import duty to 4 percent on gold.
The finance ministry said it has received several representations on behalf of the jewellery makers, including artisans and goldsmiths, seeking “reconsideration of this proposal on the ground that the industry is unorganised and fragmented and would find it difficult to comply with the provisions of Central Excise Law.”
- Jewellers resume shutdown in Bengal, demand rollback of excise duty - Mar 29, 2012
- Lalu Prasad takes jewellers' concerns to Mukherjee - Apr 05, 2012
- Pranab urges jewellers to call off shutdown - Mar 31, 2012
- Pranab, jewellers to discuss contentious new levies - Apr 05, 2012
- Levy on unbranded jewellery to be withdrawn: Pranab - May 07, 2012
- Levy on unbranded jewellery to be withdrawn: Pranab (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Jewellers end strike on promise of duty roll back - Apr 06, 2012
- Tax on gold amounts to taxing culture: Congress MP - Apr 04, 2012
- Gold traders on Akshaya Tritiya high - Apr 23, 2012
- Bengal minister urges Pranab to reconsider gold duty hike - Mar 24, 2012
- Tax hikes to hit household budgets - Apr 01, 2012
- Jewellers criticise hike in import duty on gold - Mar 16, 2012
- Jewellers extend shutdown by two more days - Mar 19, 2012
- Hike in import duty on gold: Jewellers body calls for shutdown - Mar 16, 2012
- Goa gold dealers, jewellers call three-day shutdown - Mar 29, 2012
Tags: april 4, artisans, excise duty, excise law, finance minister, finance ministry, gold, import duty, jewellery makers, jewellery manufacturers, major cities, New Delhi, pranab mukherjee, proposal, proposals, provisions, representations, union budget