Government ignoring performing artistes: Kishori AmonkarMay 29th, 2009 - 9:30 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, May 29 (IANS) Renowned Hindustani classical singer Kishori Amonkar Friday criticised the government for not being concerned about performing artistes and said that conferring awards like the Bharat Ratna or Padma Vibhushan was merely paying lip-service and nothing much else.
“Giving away big awards like Padma Vibhushan or Bharat Ratna does not mean that the government is keeping artistes alive. They are not concerned about us,” Amonkar told mediapersons ahead of her concert here.
Criticising the government’s hypocrisy towards classical musicians and other performing artistes, she cited the differential treatment meted out to them vis-a-vis film stars.
“At the airport, film stars are given VIP treatment, whereas a Bharat Ratna or a Padma series award winner is completely ignored. Who has contributed more to this country? Artistes or actors?” asked Amonkar, who is herself a Padma Vibhushan awardee.
The noted singer said it was this deplorable attitude that forced veteran artistes to leave India and settle abroad instead.
“It’s a shame that in our country we don’t get the required recognition and that people have to leave the country for money and recognition,” she said.
Amonkar was also critical of the slew of reality shows and talent hunts on television, saying that such shows did not have much to do with music.
“Music is never about competition or war mongers, which these shows indulge in. Classical music is the basis of good music. You cannot learn it like this,” Amonkar quipped.
- Gharanas may not retain their identity: Pandit Rajan Mishra - Nov 25, 2011
- I won't sing in a Bollywood film: Kishori Amonkar - Mar 05, 2011
- Bhupen Hazarika conferred Padma Vibhushan posthumously - Mar 22, 2012
- Mario Miranda, Bhupen Hazarika in Padma honours list (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Bharat Ratna Bhimsen Joshi passes away - Jan 24, 2011
- Artistes perform on music composer Hridaynath Mangeshkar's birthday - Oct 27, 2010
- Home ministry backs Bharat Ratna for sportspersons - Jul 23, 2011
- Varanasi's Pandit Channulal Mishra elated on receiving Padma Bhushan Award - Jan 26, 2010
- Kishori Amonkar fumes at casino operator sponsoring her concert - Jun 04, 2009
- Pandit Jasraj supports demand to confer 'Bharat Ratna' to Tendulkar - Apr 23, 2011
- Brajesh Mishra, Montek amongst 128 Padma awardees - Jan 25, 2011
- Maharashtra gets lion's share of Padma awards 2012 - Jan 26, 2012
- Brajesh Mishra, Azim Premji, Montek in list of 128 Padma awardees (Intro Roundup) - Jan 25, 2011
- 19 women among Padma award winners - Jan 25, 2012
- Kakodkar chosen for Maharashtra Bhushan Award - Apr 26, 2012