Government ignored suggestion for auctioning 2G spectrum: WatchdogNovember 28th, 2008 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 28 (IANS) India’s telecom watchdog Friday said the government ignored its suggestion that the second generation (2G) radio waves be auctioned, which would have generated higher revenue. “We recommended auctioning of 2G licences but DoT (the Department of Telecommunication) did not go by it,” Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) chairman Nripendra Mishra told reporters on the sidelines of a conference here.
The 2G-spectrum sale has been much-debated, and Communications Minister A. Raja is believed to have given out the radio frequencies at throwaway prices.
Though the minister claims that 2G spectrum is not auctioned anywhere globally and that the DoT has stuck to the TRAI recommendation of ‘first come first served basis’, the TRAI chief seems to have a different view altogether.
“We have said a mechanism should be evolved for giving licence, which must capture the market price,” Mishra said.
“Instead of making judgment who is right or wrong, we should really be looking at if there is scope for getting more revenue for the national exchequer,” he said.
However, regarding the global financial turmoil, Mishra said the Indian telecom sector, “because of its innate strength and resilience”, has remained by and large unaffected.
- Former telecom regulator testifies in 2G case - Feb 23, 2012
- 2G: Raja examines ex-telecom regulator (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Don't treat 3G in continuation of 2G, TRAI said in 2006: Witness - Mar 15, 2012
- Birla wrote letter to PM: Ex-telecom regulator - Mar 16, 2012
- TRAI had no information about spectrum, court told - Mar 22, 2012
- 2G: Process for selection of auctioneer approved - May 01, 2012
- Cabinet okays Rs.14,000 crore as spectrum auction base price - Aug 03, 2012
- Swan Telecom questions CAG role - Aug 04, 2011
- Telecom Commission to meet Thursday on TRAI recommendations - May 23, 2012
- TRAI's reserve price extremely high: CII - May 06, 2012
- TRAI sticks to high reserve price for spectrum auction - May 14, 2012
- 2G: Court notice to CBI on Raja's plea (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- EGoM to decide on spectrum pricing Thursday - Jun 20, 2012
- Excess spectrum allocation: Apex court notice on plea for recovering charges - Mar 12, 2012
- EGoM to recommend spectrum price, but cabinet to take call - Jul 20, 2012