Government hurting Hindu sentiments on Ram Setu: BJP (Lead)October 15th, 2008 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 15 (IANS) The opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Wednesday criticised the Congress-led government for contending before the Supreme Court that the Ram Setu was not integral to the Hindu religion and termed it a “deliberate attempt” to hurt Hindu sentiments.”Who gave the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government the right to judge what is integral to a religion or not?” BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad asked while talking to reporters.
Accusing the government of indulging in “vote bank politics”, Prasad said: “I want to know if they (the government) can, on affidavit, question before the Supreme Court the validity of symbols of faith of other religions.”
Prasad said the government was bent upon destroying the Ram Setu and was trying to find the perfect excuse.
“They (the government) had earlier filed an affidavit calling Lord Ram a fictional character and later stated that Ram destroyed the Ram Setu while returning to India,” Prasad said.
The spokesperson said that all such acts are “deliberate attempts to hurt Hindu sentiments”.
Ram Setu, also known as Adam’s Bridge, is a chain of limestone shoals 48 km long. Many Hindus believe that it was built during Ram’s era to facilitate his journey from southern India to Sri Lanka.
The government is keen on taking up the Sethusamudram Shipping Channel Project, building a shorter sea route around India’s southern tip, which will require dredging across the Ram Setu. Hindu outfits have opposed the step on religious grounds.
- Malhotra criticises central government stand on Ram Setu - Oct 15, 2008
- Complete Sethusamudram project at earliest: DMK - Mar 29, 2012
- UPA attempting to abuse, hurt Hindu sentiments on Ram Sethu: BJP - Oct 15, 2008
- Congress move to make Ganga national river half-hearted: BJP - Nov 05, 2008
- BJP reiterates commitment to Ram temple - Apr 03, 2009
- Government to examine shorter sea-route, sparing Ram Setu - Jul 30, 2008
- Apex court seeks visuals of Baalu's remarks against judges - Dec 10, 2008
- Congress rule has only brought insult to Hindus: Ashok Singhal - Apr 24, 2009
- Ram Setu affidavit is price for DMK's support: BJP - Jul 24, 2008
- BJP not to allow demolition of Ram Setu - Aug 03, 2008
- 19 years after Babri demolition, Ram temple on backburner? - Dec 05, 2011
- Ram Setu not integral to Hinduism, government tells apex court - Oct 14, 2008
- Sethusamudram canal work will be stopped, says Rajnath Singh - Apr 20, 2009
- 'UPA government pursuing Vatican agenda on Ram Setu' - Jul 24, 2008
- Ram Setu cannot be declared national monument: government - Jul 29, 2008