Government gives nod to next generation Arjun tanksMay 13th, 2010 - 10:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) The Indian government Thursday decided to go for the second generation of main battle tank Arjun and Akash surface-to-air missile to be developed by the premier Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
Annoucing a slew of measures to revitalise the DRDO in form and substance, Defence Minister A.K. Antony also approved the continuation of Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) for design and development of combat aircraft and of the Kaveri aero-engine programme, defence spokesman Sitanshu Kar said.
“The decision also includes development of (main battle tank) MBT Arjun Mk-II and Akash Mk-II by the DRDO and selection of industry partners by DRDO through a transparent process by evolving a suitable mechanism,” Kar said in a statement.
The decision was taken after Arjun’s performance in the comparative trials with Russian T-90 tanks came in for praise as it proved to be a superior tank.
The army has placed orders for 124 Arjun tanks, of which about 50 tanks were finally handed over to it last year to form a regiment.
The government also announced the setting up of a new Defence Technology Commission to provide a major boost to research and development and decided the de-centralisation of DRDO management and making it a leaner organisation by merging some of its laboratories with other public-funded institutions.
- Summer trials this year of upgraded indigenous battle tank - Jan 17, 2011
- Army to buy additional 124 Arjun tanks - May 17, 2010
- MoD creating environment for indigenisation of defence equipment: Antony - Nov 16, 2010
- Trials begin of upgraded Indian main battle tank - Jun 09, 2011
- Indian Army to get 124 more Arjun tanks - May 17, 2010
- Prahlada to now head defence institute - Aug 11, 2011
- Production of upgraded indigenous tanks by 2014 - Feb 14, 2011
- Antony for speedy indigenisation of defence systems - Nov 16, 2010
- Indian defence research agency eyes robotic soldier, mule - Dec 11, 2011
- DRDO to participate in "Pride of India - Science Expo - 2011" in Chennai - Jan 02, 2011
- India test-fires medium range Akash missile - May 24, 2012
- Beg, borrow or steal: IAF chief's advice to defence scientists - Oct 19, 2011
- DRDO reshaped to boost defence research - May 13, 2010
- Akash missile to be inducted to counter China - Mar 01, 2012
- DRDO's UAVs, new weapons systems to fight Maoists - Feb 18, 2010