Government gets notice on information panel vacancies (Lead)December 14th, 2011 - 7:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 14 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday issued notice to the central government and the Central Information Commission (CIC) on a petition seeking filling up of vacancies of subordinate staff in the panel set up under the transparency law.
A bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw asked the central government to file an affidavit on the status of the appointment process along with the latest records related to the CIC.
The order came in response to a public suit petition filed by two Right to Information activists R.K. Jain and Amit Shanker.
The two highlighted the lack of transparency and accountability in the appointment in the CIC.
The petitioner has sought the filling up of vacancies in the panel in a transparent manner.
Advocate Pranav Sachdeva, appearing for the petitioners, alleged that there was no transparency in the selection process.
He said that the lack of timely selection of employees had led to a backlog of more than 21,000 appeals and complaints in the commission.
Government counsel said that they had advertised for appointments and 214 applications had been received.
“Unless the court gives a direction, the process was likely to take several months before the appointments are made, increasing the backlog,” said Sachdeva.
The petition said that the vacancies of subordinate staff in the last three years had grown to 108.
The court would hear the case next Feb 15, 2012.
- Hasten appointments in transparency panel: Court (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Government gets Delhi High Court contempt notice - May 09, 2012
- Court stays order to provide Tehelka report to Fernandes - Jul 22, 2011
- Is CIC empowered to prosecute for perjury? Court issues notice - Dec 23, 2011
- Court stays fine imposed on Delhi airport operator - May 30, 2011
- Supreme Court to decide CVC's fate Thursday - Mar 02, 2011
- Court stays transparency panel's order against CBI - Jul 28, 2011
- Selection doesn't mean appointment, rules court - May 30, 2011
- Notice to government on plea for appointments in RTI ambit - Mar 28, 2011
- Plea against special exam to recruit cops dismissed (Second Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Court to hear plea on appointment of information commissioner - Nov 08, 2009
- Civil services English paper has experts' nod, court told - Aug 22, 2012
- Delhi transit system comes under RTI Act: High court - Jul 08, 2012
- Himachal court summons public service commission chief - Sep 14, 2011
- Government asked to finalise policy on ex-judges' advice - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: affidavit, amit, backlog, central government, chief justice, cic, delhi high court, government counsel, information commission, information panel, New Delhi, petitioner, petitioners, pranav, r k jain, rajiv, sahai, selection process, subordinate staff, transparent manner