Government forwards Afzal Guru mercy plea to presidentAugust 10th, 2011 - 7:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 10 (IANS) The government in July forwarded the mercy petition of 2001 Parliament House attack convict Afzal Guru to President Pratibha Patil for a decision.
“The mercy petition case of death convict Afzal Guru has since been submitted to the President’s Secretariat July 27, 2011, for a decision,” Minister of State for Home Mullappally Ramachandran said in a statement to the Rajya Sabha Wednesday.
Since there are many mercy petitions already pending with the home ministry and the President’s Secretariat, the minister was asked if there was any provision under the constitution for deciding upon any such cases as per sequence of its submission.
Ramachandran said: “There is no constitutional provision. It was an administrative decision to ensure fair and urgent treatment of all cases.”
Afzal Guru was found guilty of plotting the Dec 13, 2001, Parliament House attack, in which nine people were killed, and was sentenced to death in 2002. The Delhi High Court confirmed the death penalty in 2003.
The sentence was scheduled to be carried out on Oct 20, 2006, after being upheld by the Supreme Court in 2004.
However, Guru’s execution was stayed following a mercy petition filed by his wife. He remains on death row.
The BJP has been demanding he should be sent to gallows for justice to the victims of the attack.
- Government rejects Afzal Guru's clemency (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- Apex court seeks details of mercy pleas decided in 2011 (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Apex court calls for files of 18 mercy pleas (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- President rejects mercy plea of Khalistan terrorist on death row (Second Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Afzal Guru should 'pay price', says Farooq - Feb 26, 2012
- For Kasab, it's now a question of when - Aug 30, 2012
- Mirwaiz warns of serious fallout if Afzal is hanged - Aug 12, 2011
- Sequence being followed on mercy pleas, says Congress - May 27, 2011
- BJP to protest if Afzal Guru not hanged - Sep 07, 2011
- 308 convicts await death ahead of Kasab - May 06, 2010
- 17 mercy petitions pending before president - Jul 04, 2011
- Bitta condemns Akali Dal, Congress over Bhullar - May 31, 2011
- MR 308 convicts await death ahead of Kasab (Lead) - May 06, 2010
- Supreme Court seeks status of Afzal Guru mercy plea (Lead) - Feb 11, 2011
- Mercy plea of Khalistan terrorist on death row rejected (Lead) - May 26, 2011
Tags: administrative decision, bjp, case of death, constitutional provision, convict, death penalty, death row, delhi high court, forwards, gallows, guru, home ministry, mercy petition, mercy petitions, minister of state, parliament house, president pratibha patil, rajya sabha, ramachandran, secretariat