Government employees strike work in Jammu and Kashmir (Lead)February 10th, 2009 - 5:15 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar/Jammu, Feb 10 (IANS) State government employees Tuesday went on a two-day strike across Jammu and Kashmir, demanding implementation of the sixth pay commission recommendations.
Work in government offices across the state came to a halt and in winter capital Jammu, even essential services like medical, health care, water supplies and power were affected by the strike. However, in the Kashmir Valley, services like hospitals and power and water supply were not affected.
Hundreds of state government employees took out processions in summer capital Srinagar and at other district headquarters of the Valley, demanding the extension of sixth pay commission benefits to them as admissible to central government employees.
In Jammu, employees said the government has not shown any seriousness in implementing the sixth pay commission report.
“We fail to understand why the Jammu and Kashmir government is adopting a dilly dallying policy when it has committed to implement the report in letter and spirit,” Gurbachan Kaur, a teacher, told IANS.
Finance Minister Abdul Rahim Rather said: “The state government is serious and is making a case for the money to be allocated for the implementation of the sixth pay commission report.”
“We are committed in principle to extending these benefits to our employees, but would have to arrange for resources through central assistance to make the implementation possible”, he told media persons in Jammu.
“We need around Rs.1,700 crore (Rs.17 billion) annually and an additional Rs.3,100 crore (Rs.31 billion) to pay the arrears to implement the recommendations,” the minister said.
Besides financial benefits, the government employees are also demanding the raising of the retirement age from the present 58 to 60 years.
- Employees observe strike in Jammu and Kashmir - Feb 10, 2009
- Employees' strike affects schools, offices in Kashmir - May 08, 2012
- Kashmir government employees strike work for second day - Jan 22, 2010
- Employees' strike affects work in Kashmir - Jul 18, 2011
- Police disperse Kashmir government staff rally (Lead) - Jul 18, 2011
- Separatist strike affects life in Kashmir - Sep 07, 2011
- Oil tankers in J&K; go on indefinite strike (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Leader of striking employees held in Kashmir - Apr 07, 2010
- Employees' strike paralyses government offices in Kashmir (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- 450,000 employees strike work in Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 03, 2010
- Kashmir government to hike salaries, staff end strike (Lead) - Feb 18, 2009
- Striking government employees take out rally in Srinagar - Mar 13, 2010
- Striking government employees held in Srinagar - May 26, 2012
- Strike paralyses Jammu and Kashmir government offices (Lead) - Mar 11, 2010
- Government employees' strike enters third day in Kashmir - Mar 11, 2010