Government employees protest in SrinagarApril 10th, 2012 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, April 10 (IANS) Scores of Jammu and Kashmir government employees Tuesday took to the streets in Srinagar, accusing the state government of insensitiveness towards their problems.
Police intervened in Shahid Gunj area of the city to stop the employees’ protest march using water canons and batons to disperse the protesters.
Khurshid Alam, president of the Employees’ Joint Action Committee (EJAC), told reporters that Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had last year promised prompt disposal of the employees’ demands, but nothing positive has happened so far to address the demands.
“Chief Minister Omar Abdullah braved rain and inclement weather to come out and meet us last year. He promised prompt disposal of our demands. The agreement was framed by the chief minister’s advisor and both the employees and the government signed the agreement,” Alam said.
“A committee headed by the state chief secretary was formed to make its recommendations on our demands. But, the committee has not submitted any recommendations so far which indicates the insensitiveness of the state government,” Alam said.
The state government employees have been demanding enhancement of retirement age from the existing 58 to 60 years, regularization of daily wagers, ad-hoc and contractual employees, removal of pay anomalies as they exist between the state and the central government employees.
It must be mentioned that the issue of enhancing the retirement age from the existing 58 to 60 years is hotly debated here with many people arguing this could increase the disenchantment of thousands of unemployed youths with the state government.
A benefit of enhancing the retirement age according to those favouring it is that the state government would save millions since retirements in government services would be halted for the next two years once the superannuation is increased from 58 to 60.
- Striking Jammu and Kashmir employees return to work - Apr 14, 2010
- Jammu and Kashmir employees call off strike (Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- Leader of striking employees held in Kashmir - Apr 07, 2010
- Water canons used on Kashmir employees, 24 held - Jun 13, 2012
- Employees' strike affects schools, offices in Kashmir - May 08, 2012
- Employees' strike paralyses government offices in Kashmir (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Kashmir employees extend strike till April 19 - Apr 11, 2010
- Kashmir employees extend strike till April 17 (Lead) - Apr 12, 2010
- Striking employees' march not to be allowed in Kashmir - Apr 10, 2010
- Police break up state employees' protest in Srinagar - Apr 17, 2012
- Separatist strike affects life in Kashmir - Sep 07, 2011
- Employees continue strike, Omar Abdullah offers fresh talks - Apr 09, 2010
- Employees' strike cripples work in J&K; offices - May 24, 2012
- Employees' strike affects work in Kashmir - Jul 18, 2011
- Police disperse Kashmir government staff rally (Lead) - Jul 18, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,