Government employees observe strike in KashmirJanuary 28th, 2009 - 4:28 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Jan 28 (IANS) Nearly 400,000 employees of the Jammu and Kashmir government Wednesday observed a day-long strike demanding extension of the Sixth Pay Commission recommendations in the state.Work in various state government offices remained paralysed due to the strike call by the employees’ joint co-ordination committee.
Shouting slogans for the extension of the Sixth Pay Commission benefits, hundreds of protesting employees marched through the city centre Lal Chowk here.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has already agreed to extend the benefits of the pay commission to the state. But the state government is yet to arrange the financial support needed for the same.
“The payment of arrears would alone amount to Rs.3,080 crore (Rs.30.8 billion) and thereafter, each year the state exchequer would have to bear an additional burden of Rs.1,380 crore (Rs.13.80 billion),” an official of the state finance department said.
The chief minister has approached the central government for financial support to extend the benefits to the government employees.
The striking employees are also demanding the raising of the retirement age from the present 58 years to 60 as is applicable to the central government employees.
- Kashmir employees extend strike till April 19 - Apr 11, 2010
- 450,000 employees strike work in Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 03, 2010
- Leader of striking employees held in Kashmir - Apr 07, 2010
- Government employees' strike enters third day in Kashmir - Mar 11, 2010
- Maharashtra government staff strike hits work - Nov 15, 2011
- Kashmir government employees strike work for second day - Jan 22, 2010
- Strike paralyses Jammu and Kashmir government offices (Lead) - Mar 11, 2010
- Manipur likely to invoke ESMA to break employees' strike - Feb 26, 2010
- Government employees strike work in Jammu and Kashmir (Lead) - Feb 10, 2009
- Striking employees firm despite warning of action - Apr 25, 2010
- Employees' strike paralyses Manipur government - Jan 20, 2010
- Striking Meghalaya teachers call off agitation - Oct 19, 2010
- Kashmir budget promises to transform 'economic landscape' - Mar 12, 2010
- BJP tries to mop up votes with sops (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
- Another pre-poll sop for over 300,000 'babus' (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Sep 01, 2012