Government does not want strong Lokpal, says BJPDecember 26th, 2011 - 8:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 26 (IANS) A day before parliament debates the Lokpal bill, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Monday accused the ruling Congress of not wanting a strong anti-graft law.
“The government takes two steps forward and four steps backwards, it does not want a strong Lokpal,” BJP spokesperson Syed Shahnawaz Hussain said.
“Their intentions are wrong, they don’t want a strong and empowered Lokpal because there is dishonesty in both policy and intention of the Congress,” Hussain said.
“They are afraid that the kind of policies they have…after a strong Lokpal comes, they will not be able to continue with it,” he added.
Another party leader, Balbir Punj said: “Government has tried to treat the institution of Lokpal as a kind of employment agency, giving reservation on the basis of caste and religion.”
He added that the Lokpal will be a “toothless tiger” without an independent investigative agency.
“I don’t know whether on this issue the government will have numbers in their favour, particularly in the Rajya Sabha,” he added.
- BJP slams government on Lokpal, moots amendments to bill (Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Government not serious about Lokpal: BJP - Mar 25, 2012
- BJP insists on CBI's independence under Lokpal bill - May 17, 2012
- Anna threatens renewed agitation, PM says committed to pass Lokpal (Roundup) - Dec 17, 2011
- Anna returns with anti-graft protest, threatens more agitation (Roundup) - Mar 25, 2012
- 'Congress is not the agency for distributing honesty certificates,' says BJP - Apr 22, 2011
- Team Anna reject Lokpal panel's recommendations - Dec 07, 2011
- Leave it to states to set up Lokayuktas: Trinamool - Dec 27, 2011
- BJP 'disappointed' with Lokpal bill, Lalu fumes - Dec 22, 2011
- Government creating subservient Lokpal: Jaitley (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- War of words as Rajya Sabha debates Lokpal (Evening Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Don't blackmail at every stage, Congress tells Anna - Nov 04, 2011
- Congress' comments on Anna unfortunate, says BJP (Lead) - Aug 14, 2011
- Hazare writes to PM, reiterates agitation threat (Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
- Anna gets Left, right support for strong Lokpal (Roundup) - Dec 11, 2011
Tags: anti graft law, bharatiya janata party, bjp, caste, dishonesty, employment agency, favour, four steps, hussain, intention, investigative agency, New Delhi, parliament, parliament debates, party leader, rajya sabha, spokesperson, tiger, toothless tiger, two steps