Government agency penalised for excluding couple from voters’ listNovember 7th, 2008 - 2:05 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Nov 7 (IANS) The Haryana State Electronics Development Corporation (Hartron), and agency of the state government, has been penalised Rs.100,000 for excluding the names of a man and his wife from the voters’ list after an application was filed under the Right to Information Act.Satpal Singh, who runs an NGO “Anti Corruption Society” here, found that his name and that of his wife were excluded from the voters’ list in the Chandigarh electoral roll issued Nov 22, 2007.
Singh filed an RTI application with the Chief Electoral Officer, Chandigarh, seeking the reason for the exclusion of their names.
“After an inquiry, Hartron, the company responsible for preparation, revision or any other correction in the electoral roll, was found guilty of unnecessarily omitting the two names without giving any reasonable reasons,” Jaspal Singh told IANS.
He added: “The company was penalised and the amount was deducted by chief electoral officer from their bills. Our names were again registered on the electoral roll and I got a letter from the electoral officer in this regard a few weeks back.”
“I have specific proof showing that there are thousands of other voters in Chandigarh whose names have been removed without giving any reason. This is an offence according to Representation of People Act, 1950,” he added.
“I am again filing an application under the RTI Act seeking the reasons for the exclusion of the other names.”
- Government agency penalised for excluding couple from voters' list (Reissuing with correction in para 4) - Nov 07, 2008
- PMO sees 8,400 percent rise in RTI pleas - May 15, 2011
- 'Incumbent SGPC president to run affairs of body' - Mar 30, 2012
- RTI activist told not to reveal information on Padma awards - Apr 08, 2010
- Delhi court issues summons to MCD councillor - Jun 15, 2012
- Punjab voters' lists to include mobile phone numbers - May 26, 2011
- Haryana poll panel demands action against absentee officials - Aug 24, 2010
- Haryana starts campaign to enroll unregistered voters - Nov 05, 2010
- Official fined for delaying RTI information - Mar 24, 2010
- Haryana becomes first state to complete voters' list with photographs - Feb 26, 2009
- Goa officer files complaint against RTI activist - Aug 25, 2012
- NGO moves apex court against curtailed RTI access, high fee - May 16, 2012
- Space department denies information to ex-ISRO chief (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi seeks details from UP Govt. over usage of heath funds - Apr 27, 2011
- Defector Haryana lawmakers want disqualification petition dismissed - Nov 10, 2011