Gorshkov’s final price tag awaits government nodJanuary 16th, 2010 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 16 (IANS) Indian Navy chief Admiral Nirmal Verma Saturday said that the final price tag of the Russian aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov, which will be commissioned in the force as INS Vikramaditya, is awaiting the government’s approval.
“I cannot speak anything about the final pricing till the government’s approval is announced,” he told reporters here.
“But, yes, for any of these major induction programmes, we have a price negotiation committee, which has done its job and a mutually agreed price has been arrived at,” Verma added.
Indian and Russian defence officials have been negotiating the price for the purchase of the refurbished aircraft carrier for over a decade.
Moscow is now asking for $2.9 billion for the aircraft carrier, nearly thrice the price that was originally agreed between the two sides in 2004. But New Delhi wanted the price to be scaled back to $2.1 billion.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, during his visit to Moscow December last year, also pushed for the finalisation of the price.
- India's carrier, n-sub programme delayed - Aug 08, 2012
- 'Aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov shaping up for sea trials' - Jul 20, 2011
- India to get Russian aircraft carrier by December - Jan 17, 2012
- Indian aircraft carrier's sea trials postponed - May 24, 2012
- Navy crew training in Russia for Gorshkov takeover - Apr 14, 2011
- Indian, Russian navies to expand cooperation in Indian Ocean Region - Jan 17, 2011
- Indian Navy awaits defence ministry order to sack senior officer - Feb 08, 2011
- Defence secretary in Russia for talks - Jun 13, 2011
- Gorshkov talks in final stages but no deadline: Navy chief - Dec 02, 2009
- Gorshkov deal unlikely during PM's Russia visit: Antony - Nov 27, 2009
- Senior navy officer to be sacked for sexual misconduct (Lead, changing dateline) - Feb 05, 2011
- Gorshkov's final price decided: Russian envoy - Dec 14, 2009
- India,Russia resolve price dispute over Gorshkov (Second Lead, superseding earlier story) - Dec 07, 2009
- Senior Indian Navy officer sacked for sexual misconduct - Mar 31, 2011
- MiG-29 makes first landing on Indian carrier - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: 1 billion, admiral gorshkov, decade, defence officials, government nod, indian navy, induction programmes, ins vikramaditya, job, manmohan, manmohan singh, moscow, New Delhi, price negotiation, price tag, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, russian aircraft carrier, russian defence, vikramaditya