Gordon Brown praises Jade GoodyFebruary 18th, 2009 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 18 (IANS) British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, who once found himself embroiled in a furious race row over Jade Goody, Wednesday paid tributes to the cancer-stricken reality television star, saying he applauded her “determination to help her family”.
“It’s very sad and tragic that someone so young has got this deadly disease of cancer. It’s very sad that the treatment that has been given has not been successful,” Brown said at his weekly press conference.
“I think everyone has their own ways of dealing with these problems and her determination to help her family is something that we’ve got to applaud. I wish her well and I wish her family well,” he added.
In January 2007, when he was Chancellor of the Exchequer (finance minister), Brown found himself sucked into a race row involving Goody and Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty.
Goody was expelled from the Channel 4 reality show “Big Brother” after complaints that she had racially bullied Shetty - an allegation that Goody denied.
Returning to London, Brown told the British parliament the issue had been raised repeatedly during his trip, adding: “I want Britain to be seen as a country of fairness and tolerance. Anything detracting from this I condemn.”
Goody, who was diagnosed with cancer last August, is being treated in a London hospital where doctors have given her only months to live.
She has allowed her time in hospital to be filmed for a reality show, saying she wants to raise money for her two young children.
- Jade prepares for 1 mn pound wedding as Brown praises her courage - Feb 19, 2009
- I feel honoured by India's love: Jade Goody (Exclusive) - Feb 20, 2009
- Jade Goody dies in sleep, tributes pour in (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2009
- Brown calls Jade Goody 'courageous' as tributes pour in - Mar 22, 2009
- It is now a matter of hours for Jade Goody - Mar 15, 2009
- Hated and admired, Goody was reality TV's shooting star (Obituary) - Mar 22, 2009
- British TV star Jade Goody dies in peace (Lead) - Mar 22, 2009
- Jade to walk down the aisle Sunday (Lead) - Feb 17, 2009
- No room in cemetery for dying Jade Goody - Mar 21, 2009
- Jade Goody fights to see final Mother's Day (Lead) - Mar 21, 2009
- Cancer-stricken Jade Goody vows to have her sons christened - Feb 15, 2009
- Pray for cancer-stricken Jade Goody, says Shilpa Shetty - Feb 20, 2009
- ''Saddened'' Prime Minister Gordon Brown pays tribute to Jade Goody - Mar 23, 2009
- Goody close to end, wants to be remembered as a fighter (Lead) - Mar 15, 2009
- Jade Goody invites Shilpa Shetty for wedding - Feb 18, 2009