Gordon Brown is ‘a little tiny dot on world stage’: MugabeApril 13th, 2008 - 12:24 am ICT by admin
Harare/Johannesburg, April 12 (DPA) Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe had sharp words for Prime Minister Gordon Brown after the British leader issued his second call in as many days for the release of results from Zimbabwe’s March 29 elections. “Brown is the world?” the 84-year-old Zimbabwean leader asked rhetorically following a meeting in Harare with South African President Thabo Mbeki.
“Brown is a little tiny dot in this world,” he said scathingly.
Mugabe was reacting to Brown’s call for the official results of the presidential elections, in which opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) leader Morgan Tsvangirai has already claimed victory over Mugabe. But Mugabe’s party is calling for a runoff, saying neither won outright majority.
“The whole eyes of the world are on Zimbabwe,” Brown said, urging, “proper international monitoring” if the election goes to a second round.
Mugabe met Mbeki before the South African leader flew to Zambia for an emergency meeting of the 14-nation Southern African Development Community (SADC) on the tensions in Zimbabwe.
Mugabe is boycotting the summit, which Tsvangirai is attending. The summit is expected to call for the urgent release of the election results.
“Sometimes we have other business that holds us back,” Mugabe told reporters, assuring his no-show in Zambia was not a snub to his neighbours, who were still his “very good friends,” his “brothers”.
- Tsvangirai promises change in Zimbabwe (Roundup) - Feb 12, 2009
- Mugabe fighting for life in Singapore hospital? - Apr 10, 2012
- Mbeki talks tough with Mugabe over political stalemate in Zimbabwe - Aug 17, 2008
- Zimbabwe becoming a police state: Tsvangirai - Mar 19, 2011
- Zimbabwe leaders to resume difficult talks on powersharing - Aug 12, 2008
- Zimbabwe police fire tear gas to disperse prayer meeting - Apr 10, 2011
- Mugabe strengthening power base from Chiadzwa diamond auctions - Jan 30, 2011
- SADC leaders begin third summit on Zimbabwe political crisis - Jan 26, 2009
- SADC leaders locked in talks as Zimbabwe unity deal proves elusive - Aug 17, 2008
- Tsvangirai promises to continue talks with Zimbabwe's president - Aug 14, 2008
- Zimbabwe PM says Mugabe focused on legacy as career draws to a close - Sep 17, 2010
- SADC backs Mugabe over powersharing; to assist Congo Army - Nov 10, 2008
- Mugabe gazettes national unity amendment to constitution - Dec 14, 2008
- No crisis in Zimbabwe, says South African president - Apr 12, 2008
- Zimbabwe poll failed to represent people's will: SADC - Jun 30, 2008