Goodricke looking to buy tea gardens in AfricaApril 12th, 2011 - 8:01 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 12 (IANS) Goodricke Group Ltd is looking to acquire tea gardens in African countries, a top company executive said Tuesday.
“Apart from domestic acquisitions, the company is also looking into possibilities in African countries. Wages are almost half there and it is much cheaper to buy gardens in Africa,” Arun N. Singh, managing director and CEO of Goodricke, told reporters here.
He said the company is open to acquiring more gardens in Assam. “It already has two gardens, including in Nonaipara and Orangajuli in Darrang district of Assam, accounting for almost 15 percent of its total owned crop. It is open to buying more gardens in the state.”
On the tea prices, he said CTC (crush, tear, curl) tea market had been firmer during the last two sales, registering an increase of Rs.10 per kg.
“Kenyan production is likely to be down by 10 percent this year. Besides, production in Sri Lanka is also down from the expected levels. This will help to keep the market firm in the future,” Singh added.
- Love your morning cuppa? Get ready to pay more - Feb 09, 2012
- Camellia Plc 'very interested' in acquiring Assam tea gardens - Apr 18, 2012
- Indian tea makers fear lacklustre exports - Mar 28, 2012
- Indian tea makers to showcase brew at London Olympics - Jul 25, 2012
- India strives to revive tea exports to Egypt - Sep 13, 2010
- MARS Group aiming to produce 5 mn kg of tea in 2013 - Dec 21, 2011
- Goodricke seeks partners for iced tea retail - Apr 12, 2011
- Darjeeling Dooars, Terai tea gardens to lose over Rs.220 crore - Aug 11, 2011
- Duncan not to hike tea prices: Goenka - Dec 20, 2011
- Delayed rainfall likely to affect Assam tea production - Mar 16, 2012
- Small tea growers usher in winds of change in Assam (With Image) - Sep 04, 2010
- Dhunseri acquires tea estates in Africa - Jul 28, 2012
- Tea production halts in five Assam districts - Jun 01, 2012
- Tea production to go down due to weather: Tea Board chief - Nov 29, 2009
- Jay Shree Tea eyes increased production - Sep 22, 2011