Goldman Sachs infuses Rs.3.7 bn into Indian subsidiaryFebruary 10th, 2009 - 9:22 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 10 (IANS) Taking a cue from Credit Suisse and Morgan Stanley, banking and investment services firm Goldman Sachs has infused Rs.3.7 billion (Rs.370 crore/$76 million) into its Indian subsidiary Pratham Investments and Trading Pvt Ltd, it was announced Tuesday.
Earlier this month, Morgan Stanley had invested an additional Rs.1 billion into its Indian retail stock broking and portfolio management services firm Morgan Stanley India Financial Services (MSIFS). Credit Suisse had also announced last month that it will pump additional $164 million into Credit Suisse Finance (India) Pvt Ltd.
The additional capital added by the New York-based company will take the total capital of the non-banking financial company (NBFC) to Rs.4.85 billion.
“This capital infusion furthers our objective of building a full service investment banking and securities platform in India,” said Jesse Lentchner, managing director and head of securities at Goldman Sachs India.
The company plans to utilise the additional capital to expand its credit trading and investing businesses.
Goldman Sachs acquired Pratham in 2008, which was privately held by the Bubna family, which has interests in the paper business.
Goldman also has a 20 percent stake in Chennai-based NBFC Shriram Credit Co. which the company picked up in 2008 for Rs.3 billion.
- South African fund shows interest in Indian insurance - Sep 07, 2011
- S&P; slashes top US banks' credit ratings - Nov 30, 2011
- Energy firm Soham raises Rs.125 crore from SBI fund - Nov 07, 2011
- Goldman Sachs chosen adviser for Russian airport's sale - Dec 20, 2011
- TVS Logistics gets $53 million equity funding - Apr 19, 2012
- Shriram Life to tap clients of group companies - Jan 12, 2011
- Fitch downgrades three European banks ratings - Oct 14, 2011
- Shriram group to divest 20 percent in Shriram Capital to Sanlam - Jan 12, 2011
- Finance dominates IIM-Calcutta placements - Mar 10, 2011
- Global firms vie to grab Bangalore biz whizkids - Mar 24, 2012
- Billionaire Raja Rajaratnam held guilty of fraud - May 11, 2011
- Chennai's Shriram Housing aims big in this fiscal - Mar 30, 2012
- Rajat Gupta's lawyers say others tipped Rajaratnam - Jun 07, 2012
- Shriram Housing Finance open for outside equity infusion - Aug 10, 2011
- RBI proposes new regulations for non-banking finance firms - Aug 29, 2011