Gold, silver brick seized from arrested tax officialJuly 16th, 2011 - 10:48 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 16 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation has recovered a virtual treasure trove, including a silver brick and gold and diamond jewellery from arrested Income Tax Commissioner R.P. Meena, an official said here Saturday.
Meena - IT Commissioner (Appeals) - was nabbed red-handed last week while accepting a bribe and was Saturday sent to further police custody till July 21.
During the investigations, the CBI sleuths have come across seven bank accounts in the name of Meena and his family members with a total deposit of Rs.1.50 million in them.
In an interesting revelation, the CBI said that Meena had invested his ill-gotten money with Satish Panchariya, director of Alka India Ltd, which is a huge investor for the prominent film-making company, K. Sera Sera Films.
Since Panchariya panicked and is absconding since Meena’s arrest, the CBI has sealed the office premises of Alka India Ltd at Crystal Plaza, near Versova, Andheri (north-west Mumbai).
A locker with UCO Bank, Dausa, Rajasthan, which was opened by the CBI brought out over a kilo of gold jewellery and a silver brick weighing more than 1.33 kg, besides diamond jewellery.
Meena had also invested Rs.6.50 lakh in fixed deposits, around Rs.4.50 lakh in a public provident fund (PPF) account and Rs.60,000 in shares.
Meena also owned one plot and two houses in Dausa, a plot in Jaipur and a fully furnished flat in Dwarka area of New Delhi.
Although the property documents have undervalued and put the value of the flat in Dwarka, purchased last year, at only Rs.3 million, the CBI said that current market rate for such a fully furnished flat is in the range of Rs.10 million.
The CBI has also questioned three chartered accountants who revealed that a total amount of Rs.2.50 lakh was paid to Meena early this month to secure favourable orders for their clients.
- Trinamool's Amit Mitra, wife worth Rs.7 crore - Apr 07, 2011
- Income Tax commissioner in Mumbai nabbed for graft - Jul 09, 2011
- Interest rates on provident fund, post office savings hiked - Nov 11, 2011
- Prime Minister's key ministers and their assets - Sep 03, 2011
- A Nano car worth Rs.22 crore - Sep 19, 2011
- Engineer becomes thief to recover business losses - May 11, 2012
- Arrested NALCO chief, wife to be produced in court - Feb 26, 2011
- Arrested tax official has assets worth crores - Sep 07, 2011
- 3 held for burglaries, Rs.15 lakh worth jewellery recovered - Apr 12, 2011
- CBI busts BRO scam, books top officials (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- NALCO CMD, wife arrested for taking bribe (Lead) - Feb 26, 2011
- NALCO CMD, wife sent to six-day police custody (Lead) - Feb 26, 2011
- Mutt chief, 6 others held over 'hidden treasure' - Mar 24, 2011
- Ex-NALCO chief's bail plea rejected - Jun 09, 2011
- Bank officials, businessmen arrested for fraud - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: alka india, andheri, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chartered accountants, crystal plaza, dausa, diamond jewellery, fixed deposits, gold jewellery, india ltd, lakh, office premises, ppf account, property documents, public provident fund, tax commissioner, uco bank, versova, virtual treasure trove