Gold-plated Buddha statue on display in AgraMay 19th, 2008 - 6:27 pm ICT by admin
Agra, May 19 (IANS) A six-foot gold-plated statue of Buddha has been put on display in Buddha Vihar here. The statue is a gift by Queen Sikrit of Thailand to Uttar Pradesh Lalit Kala Academy chairman Ajaysheel Gautam, who donated it to the Buddha Vihar. The statue, which has Buddha in a meditating posture, is said to be worth about Rs.1.4 million.
According to Gautam, the Thai queen had invited him to meditation centre in Shravasti in Uttar Pradesh last month where the present was handed over to him. Buddha is believed to have meditated in Shravasti for 25 years.
“It is a beautiful statue and you just cannot remain uninspired or unmoved by the aura of the Buddha,” Gautam told IANS.
- Jade Buddha to visit India in November 2012 - Nov 29, 2011
- Myanmar gifts giant Buddha statue to Mumbai pagoda - May 17, 2010
- Kushinagar monks complain about poor maintenance of old Buddha statue - Mar 03, 2011
- Gift of peace from Myanmar - giant Lord Buddha statue (With Images) - May 18, 2010
- Buddha's home Kapilavastu lies in utter neglect - Feb 17, 2011
- UP hosts 'Kapilvastu Mahotsav' to highlight teachings of Buddha - Jan 01, 2011
- Buddha's home Kapilavastu lies in dire neglect (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Finally, covers go off Mayawati statues (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Yangon's gilded pride - the bejewelled Shwedagon Pagoda - May 29, 2012
- Governor stays away from Agra - Aug 29, 2010
- High alert as farmers along Yamuna Expressway begin shutdown - Aug 25, 2010
- Six of family killed in accident - Oct 13, 2011
- Mayawati issues full-page Buddha Purnima ads in 150 dailies - May 17, 2011
- Mahatma Gandhi statues and busts popular worldwide - Nov 30, 2010
- Wooed by opposition, protesting farmers throng Delhi (Lead) - Aug 26, 2010