Gold ornaments worth Rs.2.5 mn burgled from Delhi templeOctober 26th, 2008 - 11:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 26 (IANS) Two caretakers were detained Sunday after jewellery and ornaments worth Rs.2.5 million were found missing from a temple in northwest Delhi, the police said. All the ornaments on an idol of goddess Durga, a gold flute on an idol of Lord Krishna and two idols of Lord Shiva and goddess Ganga were missing from the Sanatan Dharam Mandir in Model Town-II when the priest, Pandit Jagdish Sharma, opened the temple doors in the morning, according to police.
The grills of the temple were also found broken.
The police said the two caretakers stay inside the temple which is locked from outside in the night.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (Northwest Delhi) N.S. Bundela said they were suspecting an insider’s hand in the burglary.
“Inspection of the temple suggests that only an insider who has all knowledge of every nook and corner of the temple can perform such a robbery. We are hopeful of cracking the case soon,” Bundela said.
Sanatan Dharam Mandir chief Suresh Gupta suspected that outsiders too could have committed the burglary after visiting the temple several times.
- Jewellery stolen from Hindu temples recovered in Bangladesh - Feb 19, 2011
- Janmashtami celebrations: Prayers, fasts, fervour grips Delhi - Aug 10, 2012
- Krishna idol stolen from Ranchi temple - Sep 01, 2010
- Hindu temple burgled in Dhaka - Feb 03, 2011
- Thousands hit the roads as Durga Puja begins in Bengal - Oct 02, 2011
- Durga idols immersed in Meghalaya - Oct 07, 2011
- Take action over 23 Hindu temple burglaries: Dhaka daily - Feb 06, 2011
- Post-Puja, Yamuna battles immersion onslaught - Oct 07, 2011
- IAS aspirant held for extortion bid - Nov 24, 2010
- Janmashtami celebrated with fervour in Delhi (Lead) - Sep 02, 2010
- Indigenous tribe celebrates Durga Puja in northeast - Oct 16, 2010
- Police clueless on Jharkhand idol theft - Jul 03, 2010
- Two persons drown in Ichamati river - Oct 07, 2011
- Dead body found dead in ashram - Jul 03, 2010
- Two arrested while trying to sell snake venom - Aug 09, 2010