Gold from Bangladesh seized, one detainedSeptember 3rd, 2012 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Sep 3 (IANS) A gold smuggler was detained in Tripura and five gold biscuits, worth Rs.19 lakh, smuggled from Bangladesh were seized, BSF officials said here Monday.
“The troopers of the BSF detained Nagendra Das, 50, at Chitaldahar village Sunday night. Over 583.2 gram of gold, in the form of five biscuits, was recovered from him,” Border Security Force (BSF) Deputy Inspector General P.K. Joshi told reporters.
Joshi, quoting Das, said that contraband was smuggled from Bangladesh and the market value of the gold would be Rs.19 lakh.
Das told the BSF that he got the gold from Mia Bhai of Phulbari village in Bangladesh. The biscuits were thrown over the border fence two days back.
The gold was to be handed over to Subhas Das in Karimganj in Assam, Das told the BSF.
Infiltration and smuggling along the 856-km India-Bangladesh border with Tripura has largely been controlled after the barbed wire fencing came up.
The strength of BSF troopers has also been increased to keep a strict vigil along the border to check infiltration, movement of militants and smuggling.
- India to erect single row fence along Bangladesh border - Sep 18, 2012
- Bangladeshi, trooper caught in Tripura handed back - Jul 06, 2012
- Man killed in BSF firing in Tripura - May 31, 2012
- Bangladesh Border Guard held after killing Indian - Jan 20, 2012
- Bangladesh border guard held after killing Indian (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- River erosion upsets BSF at India-Bangladesh border - May 08, 2012
- Tripura seeks fencing on actual border - Nov 25, 2011
- 12 Bangladeshis held in Tripura - Sep 14, 2011
- Bangladesh relaxes norms for India to erect border fence - Apr 08, 2011
- Strengten border security: Mizoram, Tripura governors - Oct 31, 2011
- Choppers, anti-mine vehicles to aid BSF troopers - Jan 18, 2011
- Tripura villagers affected by border fencing to step up stir - May 12, 2011
- Tripura locals affected by fencing vow to intensify stir - Feb 12, 2011
- Indian's killing: Bangladesh given custody of border guard - Jan 21, 2012
- Dismantle militant camps, BSF to urge Bangladesh counterparts - Dec 08, 2011
Tags: assam, bangladesh, barbed wire fencing, bhai, biscuits, border fence, border security force, bsf, deputy inspector general, gold, India, infiltration, joshi, karimganj, lakh, militants, smuggler, strict vigil, tripura