Gogoi claims improved law and orderMay 2nd, 2012 - 9:55 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, May 2 (IANS) Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Wednesday complemented senior officials for improved law and order in the state but asked them to tame abductions and extortion.
“Though the overall law and order situation has improved following the laying down of arms by major militant outfits, incidents of kidnapping for ransom, extortion, and women and child trafficking have gone up,” he said here.
Gogoi was speaking at the inaugural session of the two-day review meeting with Deputy Commissioner and Superintendents of Police.
Crime, he said, needed to be tackled with a firm hand.
He said the Assam government was planning a grading system based on the performance of Deputy Commissioners and Superintendents of Police.
“We will reward the best performing districts with incentives based on this grading system. Evaluation and monitoring will be done by retired civil servants,” he said.
The chief minister called upon the deputy commissioners to come up with innovative ideas for the welfare of the people.
He also appealed to the officials to make more field visits to feel the pulse of the people.
- Assam moots law to stop officials from employing minors - Jun 12, 2012
- Militants ganging up with criminals, says Gogoi - May 18, 2012
- Pakistan's ISI backing insurgents: Assam CM - Feb 19, 2012
- Assam elections on schedule, says Gogoi - Nov 29, 2010
- Assam toll rises to 14, army called in (Third Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Gogoi assures help to molestation victim, issue rocks assembly (Roundup) - Jul 17, 2012
- RTI activist detained in Assam - Apr 10, 2011
- Uneasy calm in Assam, violence toll 40 - Jul 26, 2012
- Gogoi seeks new trains for Assam - Feb 07, 2012
- Chopper carrying PM returns due to bad weather (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Congress forms coordination panel in violence-hit Assam - Jul 27, 2012
- Guwahati to have police commissioner system: Gogoi - Jul 17, 2012
- Assam to train officials against 'Red Terror' - May 05, 2012
- Guwahati molestation: Assam police yet to visit Odisha - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: abductions, assam government, chief minister, child trafficking, civil servants, deputy commissioner, deputy commissioners, extortion, grading system, inaugural session, incentives, innovative ideas, law and order, militant outfits, police crime, ransom, senior officials, system evaluation, tarun, welfare