Gogoi backs central anti-terror agencyMay 5th, 2012 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 5 (IANS) Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Saturday supported the proposal to set up the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) but emphasised that the central government must take the states into confidence in the fight against terror.
“The central government must take the state governments into confidence in the fight against terrorism. Differences of opinion are bound to be there. But that can be resolved across the table in an amicable manner,” said Gogoi at a chief ministers meeting on the issue here.
“Terrorism is a scourge to society and a great threat to the country’s unity and integrity. Every effort must be made to wipe out terrorism,” he said.
The Congress-led state government has been making efforts to combat terrorism since the past 11 years with support from the central government, he said.
The chief minister said the improvement on the law and order front in Assam in last 11 years was the result of close coordination among the army, paramilitary and police under the unified command structure.
Gogoi said that security personnel who misused power during counter insurgency operations must be brought to book.
- Mizoram CM supports NCTC - May 09, 2012
- All northeast militants have a nexus with Maoists: Gogoi - May 11, 2012
- Modi happy at changes but still against NCTC (Lead) - May 05, 2012
- Manmohan fails to woo dissenting CMs on NCTC (Roundup) - May 05, 2012
- Government wins first NCTC battle, defeats opposition amendments (Roundup) - Mar 19, 2012
- Modi happy but still against NCTC - May 05, 2012
- ULFA faction opposes Sonia's Assam visit, calls for shutdown - May 22, 2012
- Karnataka opposes creation of anti-terror centre - Apr 16, 2012
- Centre fails to convince dissenting CMs on NCTC (Intro Roundup) - May 05, 2012
- 'NCTC tantamount to encroaching on state rights' - May 05, 2012
- Akhilesh opposes NCTC in present form - May 05, 2012
- No final decision on NCTC yet: Chidambaram (Lead) - May 05, 2012
- Centre trying to trample on rights of states: BJP - May 07, 2012
- PM pitches for NCTC amid opposition (Lead) - May 05, 2012
- Opposition CMs lambast government for security overreach (Roundup) - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: 11 years, assam, central government, chief minister, chief ministers, command structure, confidence, coordination, counter insurgency, counter terrorism, emphasised, integrity, law and order, nctc, New Delhi, scourge, security personnel, state government, state governments, tarun