Godman helps convicted MP to get ‘rid of evils’March 2nd, 2009 - 3:40 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, March 2 (IANS) Controversial godman Chandraswami performed rituals at a new temple built by Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) MP and convicted murderer Surajbhan Singh in Bihar to get “rid of evils” in the lawmaker’s life.
A LJP leader close to Singh said Monday that Chandraswami was specially invited by the MP to offer prayers to mark the opening of the temple at Mokama, about 90 km from here.
“Chandraswami performed rituals at the temple Sunday to please Hindu gods and goddesses for Singh’s smooth sailing in coming elections,” said a LJP leader, who was present at the function.
“Chandraswami also gave Singh tips to ensure success in the elections,” he added.
Singh is unlikely to contest the polls as he was convicted for murder of a farmer 16 years ago by a court in Begusarai in June 2008. He got bail from the Patna Hight Court last year. Singh is reportedly lobbying for his wife to contest the elections from Nawada parliamentary seat.
Singh represents Ballia and is considered close to Union Minister for Steel and LJP chief Ram Vilas Paswan.
The MP faces 30 criminal charges, including those of murder, extortion, kidnapping and looting. In 2007 he was named an accused in the murder of additional public prosecutor Ramnaresh Sharma.
- Murder witness shot dead in Bihar - May 11, 2009
- Lawmaker's petition dismissed in Patna - Nov 28, 2008
- LJP MP booked for murder in Bihar - May 12, 2009
- Paswan demands CBI probe into uterus scam - Aug 26, 2012
- Lok Janshakti Party MP Surajbhan questioned in murder case - Apr 08, 2009
- Bihar has dozens of candidates facing serious criminal charges - Apr 16, 2009
- LJP leaders blame poll debacle on alliance with RJD - Jun 08, 2009
- Wives of criminal-turned-politicians trailing in Bihar - May 16, 2009
- Puja and polls: Nitish's family prays, Lalu helps Rabri with rituals - Oct 13, 2010
- Bihar MP Surajbhan Singh convicted for murder - Jun 24, 2008
- Bihar ready for round one of elections - Oct 20, 2010
- Bihar polls: Test of governance, rule of law in phase three - Oct 27, 2010
- Bihar MP sentenced to life for murder - Jun 25, 2008
- Bihar MP gets bail in murder case, can vote now - Jul 16, 2008
- Ram Vilas Paswan files poll papers in Bihar - Apr 02, 2009