‘Goa’s mining export revenue will fall 50 percent’February 23rd, 2009 - 11:21 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Feb 23 (IANS) Goa’s Rs.60-billion (Rs.6,000-crore) low-grade iron ore exports are expected to fall 50 percent this fiscal, an industry leader said here Monday.
While exports this year have shown a marginal drop in terms of volumes, the actual revenue earned has shrunk considerably, Shivanand Salgaocar, president of the Mineral Ore Foundation (MOF), told reporters.
“The prices for low-grade iron ore plummeted during the second half of 2008. Right now, we are seeing a steady renewal of demand for low-grade iron ore, but at virtually half the original rates,” he said.
Salgaonkar added that the economic recession in Japan has hit India’s mining industry hard.
“The recession in Japan is particularly severe. Japan has cut down on its steel production by nearly 11 million tonnes,” he said.
Salgaocar, who is also the joint managing director of VM Salgaocar and Brothers Pvt Ltd, refused to comment on the issue of illegal mining, which anti-mining activists allege is rampant in Goa’s mining belt.
- Iron ore export from Goa to dip next fiscal: Exporters body - Oct 04, 2011
- Goa's draft mining policy soft on capping ore extraction (Goa Newsletter) - Aug 10, 2012
- China using up Goa's iron ore: Report - Sep 08, 2012
- Goa not in iron deposit intensive areas list - Jan 12, 2012
- Ministry orders study on Goa's controversial mining - Aug 23, 2011
- Government pulls up 20 percent mines - Sep 18, 2011
- Jayanthi Natarajan to arrive in Goa amidst mining controversy - Sep 05, 2012
- Nationalise Goa's mining industry: Congress MP - Jul 04, 2011
- Goa, mining firms talks on creating corridor stalemated - Jul 21, 2011
- Hike in iron ore export duty irks Goa mining industry - Jan 04, 2012
- Goa firms get show cause for pollution - Aug 08, 2012
- Mining baron wants CBI probe in Goa scam - Oct 07, 2011
- 'Fly by night mining operators creating problems' - Nov 17, 2011
- Banning iron ore export makes no economic sense, says FIMI - Aug 03, 2010
- Parrikar dares Centre to find, shut illegal Goa ore mines - Sep 05, 2012