Goa university to have chair for diaspora studiesAugust 10th, 2010 - 4:50 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 10 (IANS) The University Grants Commission (UGC) has agreed to create a chair for diaspora studies at the Goa university, Goa non-resident Indian (NRI) commissioner Eduardo Faleiro said Tuesday.
He said at a press conference here that the university had been asked to draft a proposal for creating a diaspora studies chair and send it to the UGC to expedite the process.
“The study of population migration in all its diverse aspects is one of the most fascinating areas of research at present. A large number of universities abroad have this facility,” Faleiro, a former minister of state for external affairs, said.
“However, the Goan diaspora in particular and the Indian diaspora in general constitutes significant communities worldwide. None of our academic institutions have facilities for focussed research and teaching on this subject,” he added.
Faleiro said his discussions with Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal on the subject had borne fruit.
“The minister has agreed to my request and the UGC has asked the registrar of the Goa university to send a proposal for a chair on diaspora studies at our university,” he said.
Faleiro said the chair on diaspora studies will deal with the questions and issues regarding the Indian diaspora in academic depth and in a comparative context along with the study of migration in other countries.
The Goa University would be the first varsity in the country to offer such a chair.
Incidentally, Goa is the second state in India after Kerala to conduct a survey on emigration of its working population from Goa, to other countries for employment, primarily in the Gulf region.
- Goa University to have chair on Indian diaspora studies - Jul 05, 2011
- 'Migration cannot end by beating up people' - Oct 30, 2009
- Migration of Goans needs to be documented: commissioner - Mar 14, 2012
- Goa sets up panel against fake recruitment agents - Sep 12, 2011
- Goa to strengthen ties with diaspora - Aug 01, 2010
- Visa procedure streamlined for NRIs: Goa commissioner - Mar 11, 2011
- Goa compiling blacklist of fake travel, job agents - Mar 11, 2011
- 'Goa-Oman direct flights could ease Goan NRI woes' - Jul 05, 2011
- Crash course in Arabic for Goan Gulf job seekers - Sep 15, 2010
- Goa's NRI office to help migrant workers - Oct 13, 2011
- Russian, Israeli tourists more of menace to Goa: Faleiro - Aug 14, 2012
- Now, Portugal to have chair in Hindi, Indian culture - May 28, 2010
- Younger Goans in Portugal prefer movies to culture - Jun 02, 2011
- 'Relief for PIOs, to be allotted extendable visas only' - Sep 29, 2010
- Kerala readies for next round of migration study - May 25, 2012
Tags: academic institutions, comparative context, development minister, diaspora studies, emigration, external affairs, goa university, human resource development, indian diaspora, kapil sibal, kerala, minister of state, nri, population migration, proposal, study of population, ugc, universities, university grants commission, varsity