Goa to give Rs,25,000 for every girl childAugust 8th, 2011 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 8 (IANS) In a bid to improve Goa’s skewed sex ratio, the state government Monday unveiled a new scheme aimed at beefing up female population.
Under the scheme ‘Dhanalaxmi’, the moment a girl child is born in Goa, the government will open a fixed deposit worth Rs.25,000 in the infant’s name.
This will be handed over to the girl child at the age of 18.
“This is a first of its kind scheme and will be applicable from April this year. The aim is to improve the sex ratio in Goa,” Chief Minister Digambar Kamat said.
According to central government figures, Goa’s sex female ratio stands at 968:1,000 this year.
Concerns about the drooping sex ratio has also forced the Goa health ministry to consider stricter norms to monitor sonography clinics in the state.
- Goa to focus on sex ratio - Dec 06, 2011
- Goa looks to Kolhapur scheme to improve sex ratio - Jun 01, 2011
- Goa to give women Rs.1 lakh for wedding expenses - Jul 06, 2012
- Goa's pro-women flagship scheme hits rough weather - Jul 26, 2012
- Declining sex ratio, cause for worry: Kamat - Mar 17, 2011
- Rajasthan cracks down on sonography centres - May 10, 2012
- Cradle in every village - to save the girl child (With Images) - May 24, 2011
- Rajasthan deploys spies to curb sex determination tests - Jan 03, 2012
- Students to track sex determination centres - Aug 17, 2011
- Though India's worst, Haryana's sex ratio is best in 110 years - Apr 10, 2011
- BJP to raise Goa mining scam in Parliament: Venkaiah Naidu - Oct 21, 2011
- Court asks Rajasthan to explain action against female child killing - Mar 30, 2012
- Punjab to reward sting operations against sex tests - Jun 26, 2011
- Body of newborn girl found - Mar 27, 2012
- Punjab sees overall increase in sex ratio - Apr 08, 2011
Tags: aim, central government, chief minister, female population, female ratio, fixed deposit, girl child, goa, government figures, health ministry, kamat, norms, sex female, sex ratio, state government, worth rs