Goa shipyard to build six patrol vessels for Coast GuardMay 9th, 2012 - 7:30 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, May 9 (IANS) Goa Shipyard Ltd (GSL) has been commissioned to build six offshore patrol vessels (OPVs) for the Indian Coast Guard, a company statement said Wednesday.
“The vessels are based on in-house design of Goa Shipyard Ltd, which has considerable expertise in designing and constructing a range of patrol vessels for the Indian defence forces,” the statement by the public sector shipyard said.
“These vessels when commissioned will be the most advanced patrol vessels in service with the Indian Coast Guard. Overall length of the vessels is 105 metres with a displacement of about 2,400 tonnes,” it added.
The defence ministry-operated company, located in Vasco, around 35 km from here, has in the past built more than a dozen OPVs for the Indian Coast Guard.
The new vessels will be fitted with contemporary Navigational Integrated Bridge systems, Bridge Watch Navigational Call Up systems, CCTV systems and additional features such as quick response boats for rescue and anti-piracy operations.
- Goa shipyard to work out deal with Coast Guard: Official - Aug 30, 2010
- Defence shipyard eyeing markets in Middle East, Africa - Aug 24, 2011
- Offshore patrol vessel joins Indian Coast Guard's Eastern Command fleet - May 20, 2010
- ICGS Rajtarang commissioned in Chennai - May 19, 2012
- Antony harks back to self-reliance in defence production - Mar 17, 2010
- Goa Shipyard posts Rs.176 crore profit - Aug 24, 2011
- Antony commissions new generation Coast Guard vessel - Mar 17, 2010
- Antony to commission modernised Goa Shipyard Saturday - May 19, 2011
- Maritime piracy can be defeated if UN takes lead: Antony - May 21, 2011
- Goa defence shipyard to capitalise on piracy - Aug 30, 2010
- GRSE launches two patrol vessels for Coast Guard - Aug 06, 2012
- Coastal security radar stations to be ready this year - Feb 15, 2012
- Coast Guard inducts inshore patrol ship - Aug 29, 2012
- India to base anti-piracy patrol plane in Maldives - Oct 18, 2011
- Don't expect miracles from India-Pakistan dialogue: Antony (Second Lead) - Mar 17, 2010
Tags: anti piracy, boats, bridge systems, coast guard, defence forces, defence ministry, displacement, goa, gsl, house design, indian defence, offshore patrol vessels, panaji, public sector, quick response, shipyard, vasco