Goa sets up emergency fund for its NRIsJanuary 20th, 2011 - 9:12 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Jan 20 (IANS) The Goa government Thursday approved a special contingency fund for non-resident Indians (NRIs) of Goan origin facing financial hardships abroad. Chief Minister Digambar Kamat told reporters after a meeting Thursday evening that the state cabinet had approved the policy after it was moved by the plight of a family which was left in distress in a foreign country following the death of its sole breadwinner.
“He was the sole bread earner of the family when he went abroad and they had no money to bring his body back once he died suddenly. The state government intervened and got the body back to the relatives in Goa with the help of the Indian embassy there,” Kamat said, without naming the victim or the country involved.
Under the innovative “NRI emergency repatriation fund”, families in distress with their kin abroad would be entitled to Rs.5 lakh assistance to cover medical or funeral expenses with the help of India’s missions abroad, Kamat said.
The fund will be sanctioned by the office of the Commissioner of Non Resident Goans, which was set up to look after the interests of the Goan diaspora spread across the Americas, Europe and the Middle East.
Goa has a sizeable population of non-resident Goans spread across the world, with a sizeable chunk of workforce based in Middle East countries.
- SBI teams with Geojit BNP Paribas for NRI stocks investments - Jun 04, 2012
- Goan expats want state to host mini-NRI football World Cup - Jul 16, 2012
- 'Relief for PIOs, to be allotted extendable visas only' - Sep 29, 2010
- Goa's NRI office to help migrant workers - Oct 13, 2011
- Post-budget, NRIs have to spend more in India (Comment) - Mar 06, 2011
- Goa sets up panel against fake recruitment agents - Sep 12, 2011
- Notification for NRIs' voting rights out: Minister - Oct 09, 2010
- Crash course in Arabic for Goan Gulf job seekers - Sep 15, 2010
- Respond to NRI complaints, Punjab officials told - Jul 23, 2011
- Goa custodial death: Kamat turns down judicial probe plea - Jan 13, 2011
- Punjab to set up panel for NRIs - Jun 24, 2011
- Migration of Goans needs to be documented: commissioner - Mar 14, 2012
- Goa eyes expats as resource for educational institutions - Dec 07, 2010
- Younger Goans in Portugal prefer movies to culture - Jun 02, 2011
- Goa borrows Punjab law to safeguard NRIs' property - Jul 17, 2009
Tags: breadwinner, chief minister, contingency fund, emergency fund, financial hardships, fund families, funeral expenses, goa government, goans, indian embassy, kamat, lakh, middle east countries, nri, nris, plight, repatriation, sizeable chunk, sizeable population, state cabinet