Goa policeman arrested for links with drug dealerMarch 18th, 2010 - 4:41 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 18 (IANS) A suspended senior inspector of the Goa Police was arrested Thursday for links with an Israeli drug dealer.
Ashish Shirodkar, booked under the Prevention of Corruption Act (PCA) and the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act, was suspended with four other policemen for links with Israeli Yaniv Benaim alias Atala.
Speaking to IANS, Deputy Inspector General of Police R.S. Yadav said Crime Branch officials arrested Shirodkar. “We will be seeking his police custody soon.”
Shirdokar was earlier attached to the Anti-Narcotics Cell (ANC), a police unit tasked to counter the drug trade.
Shirodkar was named by Atala, in a spy cam video, as the officer who used to sell drugs seized by the ANC back to the drug peddlers.
The arrested man has also been accused of accepting a bribe of Rs.1 lakh to release a drug peddler.
Atala’s video surfaced on “youtube” earlier this month. In it, he speaks to an unidentified person about policemen linked to the narcotics mafia in Goa.
Two policemen have been arrested and six others suspended in the case.
- Six Goa policemen held for links to narcotics mafia (Lead) - Mar 18, 2010
- White ants 'ate' 24 kg charas: Prosecution tells court - Apr 14, 2010
- Cop held in Goa drug nexus case - Oct 07, 2011
- Israeli drug peddler, two cops booked for graft - Mar 11, 2010
- 'Goa policeman called Israeli drug dealers 400 times' - Mar 22, 2010
- Israeli drug dealer arrested in Goa (Lead) - Mar 09, 2010
- Israeli drug dealer arrested in Goa - Mar 09, 2010
- Goa Police quizzed on nexus with drug mafia - Mar 12, 2010
- Goa cop held for links to drug mafia gets bail - Jun 02, 2010
- Israeli, Russian mafia export drugs from Goa: NCP - Jul 06, 2011
- Swedish model alleges threat from drug dealer, Goa cop - May 16, 2010
- CBI points to links between Goa Police, drug mafia - Oct 01, 2011
- Goa Police tried to kill me: Israeli drug dealer - Aug 26, 2011
- Goa minister promises action against tainted cop - Mar 04, 2010
- Over 200 kg charas missing from Goa police warehouse - Apr 05, 2010
Tags: anc, benaim, branch officials, crime branch, deputy inspector general, drug peddler, drug peddlers, goa police, lakh, narcotic drugs, police custody, police unit, policemen, prevention of corruption act, psychotropic substances, spy cam, unidentified person, yadav, yaniv, youtube