Goa police to ‘review’ rape case of German teenOctober 22nd, 2008 - 12:38 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Oct 22 (IANS) The Goa police was finding it difficult to proceed with the case of a minor German girl allegedly raped by a state minister’s son as the victim was unwilling to depose, said a senior police official here. The case, which hit the national spotlight after police booked Education Minister Atanasio Monserrate’s son Rohit for the crime, would be reviewed, Superintendent of Police Bosco George said.
“We will now have to review the case and decide which sections to drop and what course of action to follow,” George, who is spearheading the investigation, said.
Adding that it had been more than a week since the investigation began, he said: “The girl is not willing to depose. In this situation, it’s difficult for us to proceed with the case.”
He disclosed that the minor victim’s mother had still not given her consent for the medical examination of her daughter.
Police have been deferring Rohit’s arrest until the victim deposes before them.
After 12 days of vacillating on the issue, police on Oct 14 finally booked 21-year-old Rohit Monserrate for raping and sending obscene messages to the German teen. The complaint filed by the victim’s mother was registered only after media pressure and a stern communiqué to the Goa chief secretary by the German consul general asking the state authorities to “pursue the criminal investigation vigorously”.
The minister has been made a co-accused in the crime as an abettor.
- Goa minister's son may go scot-free in rape case - Aug 06, 2010
- Minister in trouble again, could alter poll pitch (Goa newsletter) - Feb 03, 2012
- German girl's rape: Goa seeks consulate's help - Sep 15, 2010
- Sack, arrest Goa minister Monserrate: BJP - Apr 08, 2011
- German minor rape trial begins in Goa - Feb 15, 2010
- Parrikar pats Goa police in minor German girl's rape probe - Oct 25, 2008
- 14 Goa policemen found guilty of assaulting minister - Apr 27, 2010
- Teenage rape victim turns suicidal, abusive - Feb 17, 2010
- 'Tainted ministers like school children' - Dec 27, 2009
- Charges against Goa minister in rape case may be dropped (Lead) - Jan 06, 2009
- Goan NGO seeks CBI probe into assault on its activist - Oct 26, 2008
- Bribe cloud over Goa minister set to fight poll - Feb 04, 2012
- Goa cabinet split over rape issue (Lead) - Oct 16, 2008
- Police drop rape charges against Goa cabinet minister's kin - Jan 13, 2009
- Another minister's kin named in rape of German teen - Oct 23, 2008