Goa Police to analyse seized drugsMarch 9th, 2010 - 1:55 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 9 (IANS) The Goa Police have begun an elaborate exercise to inspect and analyse drugs and narcotic substances worth Rs.3.41 crore seized between 2006 and 2009.
The probe follows a startling admission by now-absconding Israeli drug dealer Atala who had alleged that an inspector of the Anti-Narcotics Cell (ANC) sold cocaine and charas to him from the police stockpile.
The stock had been ordered to be destroyed by the special Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) magistrate.
The inspection began Monday. It is being conducted by a superintendent of police. “We will be checking all the drugs with us,” Deputy Inspector General Ravinder Singh Yadav told IANS.
In 2006, the Goa Police seized drugs worth Rs.74.22 lakh. This figure rose in 2007 to Rs.80.50 lakh, dipped to Rs.76.26 lakh in 2008 and again went up to Rs.1.10 crore in 2009.
Atala’s stunning revelations, made in a video, has led to the suspension of five policemen since the media began reporting the story last week.
- Cop held in Goa drug nexus case - Oct 07, 2011
- Six Goa policemen held for links to narcotics mafia (Lead) - Mar 18, 2010
- US national arrested with drugs in Goa - Aug 03, 2011
- Nigerian, Mizo woman arrested with Rs.3 mn-worth drugs - Jan 28, 2011
- Goa policeman arrested for links with drug dealer - Mar 18, 2010
- Over 200 kg charas missing from Goa police warehouse - Apr 05, 2010
- White ants 'ate' 24 kg charas: Prosecution tells court - Apr 14, 2010
- Israeli drug dealer arrested in Goa (Lead) - Mar 09, 2010
- Israeli drug dealer arrested in Goa - Mar 09, 2010
- 20 booked on drug charges in Goa over three months - Jul 20, 2012
- Punjab drug scene hits a new 'high' - Nov 22, 2010
- Morphine seized in Guwahati - May 31, 2012
- Foreigners in Goa under 'unobtrusive surveillance' - Jul 20, 2012
- Goa Police 'ashamed' of planting drugs on Israeli - Aug 15, 2012
- Drug peddler held in capital - Jan 13, 2011