Goa Police seek counselling for contract killerJanuary 28th, 2012 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Jan 28 (IANS) Goa Police are in the process of roping in a counsellor for an alleged supari killer who in 2010 had confessed to have been offered a contract to kill state Home Minister Ravi Naik and his two sons.
Michael Fernandes had escaped police custody in February 2011 and was re-arrested Saturday.
Speaking to reporters at the police headquarters Saturday, Deputy Inspector General of Police Ravinder Yadav also said that Fernandes, who was arrested after an armed robbery in Porvorim (a Panaji suburb) Friday night, came from a broken family.
“We might get a counsellor to talk to him. During interrogation, he said that he came from a broken family and he started drinking at an early age. He started by stealing money for drinking alcohol,” Yadav said.
The official, however, deflected questions related to the alleged supari Michael had confessed to have taken in 2010, citing security reasons.
When pressed for an answer, the official said: “We have just arrested him. We will know more about the supari after interrogating him further.”
Fernandes had created ripples when he reportedly confessed to the police in October 2010 that he had been offered an amount to to kill Naik and his sons Roy and Ritesh.
He claimed the money was offered by Joeboy, a history sheeter operating in Goa.
- No FIR against criminal contracted to kill Goa minister: Cops - Apr 12, 2011
- Gangster escapes from custody in Goa - Feb 23, 2011
- Under-trial escapes from police custody - Apr 22, 2011
- Goa home minister's sons get personal security - Sep 22, 2010
- Goa newspaper's editor, wife arrested for cheating investors - Sep 06, 2012
- Goa serial killer sentenced to life - Jun 10, 2011
- Goa minister accuses BJP leaders of sheltering drug trade - Jan 29, 2011
- CBI to bring Israeli drug dealer to Goa - Aug 17, 2011
- Israeli drug dealer sought by Goa Police held in Peru - Jan 09, 2011
- Ex-high court judge to screen goons for NSA detention in Goa - Sep 08, 2011
- Cops eat ice cream with accused, face action - Feb 23, 2011
- 'Drug dealers can meet visitors in Goa jails, legislators can't' - Jul 18, 2010
- Goa cop accuses CBI official of assault - Sep 21, 2011
- No police lapse in drug dealer's disappearance: Goa minister - Aug 25, 2010
- Not enough being done to curb drug trade in Goa: Panel - Jul 26, 2010
Tags: armed robbery, contract killer, counsellor, deputy inspector general, drinking alcohol, fernandes, friday night, goa police, home minister, interrogation, jan 28, police custody, police headquarters, ravi naik, ravinder, ripples, ritesh, security reasons, stealing money, yadav