Goa Police assure NCP leader of probe into cop’s suicideJune 30th, 2011 - 4:46 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, June 30 (IANS) A Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) legislator’s complaint, accusing three Crime Branch officers of abetting the suicide of a constable, will be examined, the Goa Police Thursday said.
Confirming Benaulim legislator Mickky Pacheco’s complaint, Director General of police (DGP) Aditya Arya told IANS: “We are looking into the complaint. The Goa Police have lost one of our family and we are going to get to the bottom of the matter.”
Police driver Chandru Gawas consumed rat poison while on duty last week and succumbed to internal injuries Monday.
In his dying declaration to special judicial magistrate Maria Mascarenhas, constable Gawas said Deputy Superintendent of Police Chandrakant Salgaonkar and inspectors Sunita Sawant and Pravin Vast were harassing him at work, which was why he was forced to commit suicide.
“All the three police officers should be arrested immediately because they are trying to destroy evidence, which is leading to them,” Pacheco said, after meeting the DGP Thursday.
Speaking to reporters later, Arya said he has summoned the accused and the top brass at the Crime Branch.
- Goa cop booked for threatening magistrate - Jun 29, 2011
- Goa assembly to probe ex-minister's son's role in drugs case - Aug 03, 2012
- Goa's tourism minister arrested, released on bond (Lead) - Sep 30, 2009
- Goa minister resigns over companion's death (Lead) - Jun 05, 2010
- Police driver dies after consuming poison on duty - Jun 28, 2011
- Linked to companion's death, Goa tourism minister quits (Lead) - Jun 05, 2010
- Goa clergy demands police officer's dismissal - Jun 22, 2011
- Cops quiz Goa tourism minister in casino extortion case - Sep 29, 2009
- Goa NCP president booked for rioting, assault - Oct 27, 2010
- Police helped Israeli drug dealer escape: Goa opposition - Mar 31, 2011
- Police free to arrest Pacheco: Court - Jul 07, 2010
- Bigamy, extortion, assault - a minister's notoriety in Goa - Jun 01, 2010
- CBI files complaint against Pacheco - Sep 08, 2010
- Goa lawmakers to discuss 'Dum Maaro Dum' - Mar 29, 2011
- Goa PWD minister accused of corruption - Apr 18, 2011
Tags: arya, constable, cop, crime branch, deputy superintendent, dgp, dying declaration, goa police, internal injuries, judicial magistrate, legislator, lost one, mascarenhas, nationalist congress party, pacheco, police driver, police officers, rat poison, suicide, top brass