Goa police asked to file charges against minister’s son in rape caseJanuary 6th, 2009 - 6:05 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Jan 6 (IANS) The Panaji bench of the Bombay High Court Tuesday asked the Goa police to file within seven days a charge sheet against Rohit, state Education Minister Atanasio Monserrate’s son, for the rape of a 14-year-old German girl. The bench comprising Justice S. B. Majumdar and Justice Nelson Britto told Advocate General Subodh Kantak to direct the police to file a charge sheet.
The court had earlier pulled up the Goa police for their shoddy investigation in the case and had asked the investigating officers to do better.
About two months ago, Bombay High Court Chief Justice Swatanter Kumar along with Justice S. A. Bobade, while taking up the matter suo moto, had said: “If newspaper reports are correct even to some extent, then they demonstrate the apathy of the police machinery towards the rule of law”.
In another development, Justices Majumdar and Britto directed the advocate general to instruct the state police to deploy police personnel at sensitive places and beaches in the state.
The high court direction follows numerous incidents of rape of foreigners and local women on Goan beaches, the latest involving a Dutch tourist who claimed to have been drugged, looted and raped by a gang of Nigerians at Vagator beach, a popular tourist destination, on New Year’s eve.
The police had, in an unsigned press note, neither confirmed nor denied rape confusing the case further. The controversial press note said that the complainant was not interested in sharing information with the police.
“The complainant does not wish to reveal any further details and in case she has any further queries, she has assured to keep in touch with the police,” the press note read.
- Charges against Goa minister in rape case may be dropped (Lead) - Jan 06, 2009
- Court asks Goa governor not to stall RTI queries - Jun 06, 2011
- Goa politician's bail application rejected - Aug 25, 2010
- Court asks Goa to remove beached vessel by next monsoon - Sep 08, 2010
- Goa advocate general charged with giving legal aid to rape accused - Nov 17, 2008
- Maharashtra questions CBI's jurisdiction in Adarsh case - Jun 18, 2012
- Facing rape charge, Goa minister's son cries trial by media - Dec 10, 2008
- Goa police yet to clarify on Dutch tourist's charges - Jan 05, 2009
- Goa to illuminate beaches but spare turtle habitats - Jun 21, 2011
- Decision next week on CBI probe in Goa drug nexus case - Mar 17, 2011
- Goa minister caught with $10 mn could have Dawood links: BJP - Apr 03, 2011
- Judge recuses himself from hearing Pacheco's case - Jul 16, 2010
- Goa minister's son may go scot-free in rape case - Aug 06, 2010
- Court asks Goa if drug probe being given to CBI - May 26, 2010
- 'Dum Maro Dum' may be screened in court before release - Apr 13, 2011