Goa PAC to probe illegal mining in forestsAugust 10th, 2011 - 3:19 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 10 (IANS) Goa’s public accounts committee (PAC) will investigate the increasing phenomenon of illegal mining encroaching upon the state’s forest cover, said the PAC head and the Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar Wednesday.
“All the data submitted by the departments will be probed by the PAC to look at how illegal mining has been encroaching into forest areas,” Parrikar told reporters.
“The comparison of data will help to project a real picture about illegal mining plundering Goa’s green cover,” he said.
The PAC had called for data from the state mines department as well as the state forest department, said an official on condition of anonymity.
“Nearly all mines in Goa are located in and around forest areas. The PAC is looking at cases where mining companies have carried out illegal mining by extending their leases into the nearby forests and in some cases blatantly taken over forest land for illegal mining,” the official said.
The data submitted by the departments from the mining-heavy sub-districts of Sanguem and Quepem in south Goa and some regions of north Goa were being probed, he added.
Goa exported a record 54 million tonnes of low grade iron ore last financial year to countries like China, Japan and Romania from the 100-odd operational mines in the hinterland.
The BJP has accused several cabinet ministers of the state government of being involved in the illegal mining trade.
Nearly 20 percent of Goa’s annual output of iron ore is illegally mined, according to Parrikar.
- Vedanta Resources mines operated illegally in Goa: minister - Mar 17, 2011
- Environment clearance process a farce: Goa PAC - Oct 06, 2011
- Environment clearance of 93 Goa mines suspended (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Goa's mining prowess a matter of pride: Parrikar - Sep 18, 2012
- Goa's illegally operated mines asked to shut down - Aug 03, 2011
- Shah Commission begins probing Goa illegal mining - Sep 14, 2011
- Goa PAC report could hit officials, mining companies - Oct 03, 2011
- Criminal complaint against NCP leader for illegal mining - Feb 14, 2011
- Goa mining scam worth Rs.10,000 crore: Congress legislator - Sep 17, 2011
- Award for Goa company accused of illegal mining - Mar 18, 2011
- Goa forest department under PAC scanner - Oct 06, 2011
- Illegal mining will trigger crisis in Goa: NGO - Mar 21, 2011
- Fate of 40 Goa mines to be decided Friday - Mar 03, 2011
- Goa imposes Rs.5 lakh fine for transporting illegal ore - Aug 14, 2012
- Iron ore export eating away resources: Justice Shah - Sep 17, 2011
Tags: anonymity, bjp, cabinet ministers, china japan, forest areas, forest cover, forest land, grade iron, hinterland, iron ore, leader of opposition, mines department, mining companies, nearby forests, north goa, pac, public accounts committee, south goa, state forest department, state mines