Goa officer files complaint against RTI activistAugust 25th, 2012 - 2:14 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 25 (IANS) In a bizarre incident, a senior civic officer has filed a police complaint against a Right to Information (RTI) activist claiming that the latter has been “paralysing” his office with RTI applications.
In a complaint filed with the Mapusa police station, Hanumant Toraskar, chief officer of the Mapusa Municipal Council (MMC), Friday said Deepak Gadekar had been filing RTIs with the council, “even though he is not a resident of the town”.
Mapusa is located approximately 15 km north of Panaji.
“Many a times he is found paralysing this office by way of RTI,” Toraskar’s complaint reads.
According to Gadekar, who has in the past exposed several illegalities within the MMC and the state police, has claimed that filing of RTI was his right and that council officials were scared of the probing RTI queries.
Gadekar, who has filed several dozen RTI applications, has, however, claimed that the complaint to the police was meant to deter him from filing RTI applications with the civic authority.
“The said chief officer of Mapusa Municipal council has been trying to avoid the undersigned complainant from getting access to the information requested under Right to Information Act,” Gadekar has claimed in response to Toraskar’s complaint.
An official attached to the Mapusa police station, however, Saturday said the police were conducting preliminary inquiries into the incident and that a first information report had not been filed against the RTI activist yet.
- RTI activist booked for sting operation - Sep 06, 2012
- RTI activist attacked in Gujarat, critical - Aug 23, 2011
- FIR ordered against officials in hospital privatisation case - Jul 23, 2011
- MCD ignoring RTI queries, say activists - Oct 11, 2010
- RTI, the common man's tool to get things done - Oct 11, 2010
- Criminal complainant against Kamat over Goa land policy - Jan 21, 2011
- CBI files case in Bhopal activist's murder - Sep 03, 2011
- Delhi court issues summons to MCD councillor - Jun 15, 2012
- Anti-corruption crusader killed in Bhopal - Aug 16, 2011
- Goa whistle-blower on cricket nepotism alleges victimisation - Dec 30, 2010
- RTI activist alleges sabotage in Mantralaya fire - Jun 22, 2012
- Right to Information activist shot at in Thane - Feb 27, 2010
- Rent dues notice to Meira Kumar withdrawn - May 08, 2012
- Rs.5 lakh reward for information on RTI activist's murder - Sep 16, 2011
- Goa governor gets X-mas gift - copy of RTI Act - Dec 25, 2010
Tags: activist, bizarre incident, chief officer, complainant, council officials, files complaint, goa, information report, inquiries, mapusa, mmc, municipal council, police complaint, police station, queries, right to information act, rti, rtis, state police