Goa mining scam pegged at Rs.1,200 croreAugust 27th, 2011 - 1:49 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 27 (IANS) The Goa assembly’s Public Accounts Committee (PAC) Saturday pegged the quantum of illegal mining in the state at Rs.1,200 crore, a day after the Bombay High Court issued notice to 48 mining companies for excessive mining in their leases.
“More than 6 million tonne of ore has already been illegally extracted. It is worth Rs.1,200 crore,” a PAC member said, adding the committee was perusing the documents related to the scam.
The Panaji bench of the Bombay High Court, comprising Justices D.G. Karnik and F.M. Reis issued the notice on a public suit by green NGO Goa Foundation.
The NGO argued that the mining companies, which include the Dempo Mining Corporation, and local mining companies like Timblo Irmaos, V.M. Salgaoncar and Bros, Chowgule Co., “were extracting ore in violation of environment clearances limit granted to them” by the union ministry of environment and forest (MoEF).
The court also issued notice to the MoEF.
“The mining companies make self declarations of the amount of iron ore extracted and the mining department has no mechanism to verify the ore actually extracted,” the petitioner said.
Also on Friday, the Supreme Court extended the mining ban in the iron ore-rich Bellary to Tumkur and Chitradurga districts in Karnataka.
- '25 mn tonnes illegal ore extracted in five years in Goa' - Nov 23, 2011
- Goa mining scam worth Rs 34,935 crore: Justice Shah Commission - Sep 07, 2012
- 40 mining companies in Goa issued notice - Apr 06, 2012
- Commission pegs Goa mining scam at Rs 34,935 crore, BJP wants Kamat booked (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Jayanthi Natarajan to arrive in Goa amidst mining controversy - Sep 05, 2012
- Environment clearance of 93 Goa mines suspended (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- China using up Goa's iron ore: Report - Sep 08, 2012
- Probe against officials for illegal mining in Goa - Sep 03, 2012
- Parrikar dares Centre to find, shut illegal Goa ore mines - Sep 05, 2012
- Environment clearance process a farce: Goa PAC - Oct 06, 2011
- Goa to have wireless trackers on ore-laden trucks - Sep 19, 2011
- Iron ore export from Goa to dip next fiscal: Exporters body - Oct 04, 2011
- Ministry orders study on Goa's controversial mining - Aug 23, 2011
- Should I shoot my officers for doing wrong, asks Natarajan - Sep 12, 2012
- Environment clearance of 93 Goa mines suspended - Sep 12, 2012
Tags: bellary, bombay high court, chowgule, crore, goa assembly, goa foundation, iron ore, karnik, mining companies, mining corporation, mining department, ministry of environment, ministry of environment and forest, moef, ngo, pac member, petitioner, public accounts committee, rs 1, union ministry