Goa is not Colombia when it comes to drugs: Police chiefMay 10th, 2011 - 6:17 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, May 10 (IANS) Goa’s outgoing Director General of Police Bhimsain Bassi Tuesday described the state’s narcotics scene as “insignificant” and said that Goa was certainly not “Colombia”, which is known for its powerful drug cartels.
“I would say the problem is insignificant. We are not living in Colombia,” Bassi said, when asked to comment on drug trade in Goa.
He was speaking to reporters at a press conference at the police head quarters in Panaji.
Bassi’s comment comes months after seven police officials were arrested in connection with the police-politician-drug mafia nexus, in which Home Minister Ravi Naik’s son has been linked by the international media as well as the opposition here.
Bassi also said it was impossible to have a “drug free” tag to a place visited by huge numbers of tourists both foreign and domestic. “Of course, there are some anti-social elements who push drugs. But we have acted against them, as our seizures would show,” Bassi said.
- 'Police officers being hounded for exposing Goa drug trade' - Feb 01, 2011
- No 'running commentary' on Goa drug probe: Police - Jul 14, 2010
- Extradition process on for runaway Israeli drug dealer: Police - May 10, 2011
- Goa is a good prospect for terrorists: Police chief - May 07, 2011
- Goa cop accuses CBI official of assault - Sep 21, 2011
- Kamat calls for report on Goa police-politician-drug mafia nexus - Jan 12, 2011
- Goa home minister bolts from media - Jun 25, 2010
- Goa's drug trade could have Colombian links: CBI - Sep 09, 2011
- Goa Police tried to kill me: Israeli drug dealer - Aug 26, 2011
- CBI points to links between Goa Police, drug mafia - Oct 01, 2011
- CBI questions Goa NSUI chief in drug nexus case - Sep 15, 2011
- Cop held in Goa drug nexus case - Oct 07, 2011
- Goa drug mafia issue handed over to CBI, says home minister - Feb 02, 2011
- Goa's drug mafia nexus: Swedish model's statement recorded - Mar 23, 2012
- Goa chief minister's criticism of cop flayed by BJP - Jan 17, 2011
Tags: colombia, director general, drug cartels, drugs, free tag, goa, head quarters, home minister, mafia, narcotics, nexus, opposition, police chief, police head, police officials, politician, ravi naik, seizures, social elements, tourists