Goa information commissioner’s posting hits RTI roadblockJune 19th, 2012 - 10:00 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, June 19 (IANS) The appointment of a new state information commissioner (SIC) in Goa has hit a Right To Information (RTI) roadblock.
The Goa government has been forced to seek a clarification from P.R. Nadkarni, who was selected this month as the SIC, after RTI activist Aires Rodrigues alleged that he withheld crucial information from his resume submitted during the selection process.
“There are glaring inconsistencies in the resume submitted by Mr. Nadkarni, which I have obtained under RTI,” Rodrigues said, alleging that Nadkarni lacked knowledge of law.
Nadkarni said that he received the communication from the government and that the allegations should be treated as “mere allegations”.
“The SIC being a quasi-judicial authority, it would be impossible for a person without knowledge and experience of law to function in the position,” Director of Information and Publicity Menino Peres said in the communication dated June 19.
“In your bio-data, it has been stated that you were a member on the local managing committee of S.S. Dempo College of Commerce and Economics from 1996 to date and that you also are a member of the Goa Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education (GBSHSE). It is now alleged that you are neither a member of the local managing committee nor a member of the GBSHSE,” it said.
Peres issued the note seeking clarification after Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, in his official noting, said that Rodrigues’ letter addressed to the governor be placed on record.
“We may place on record letter by Shri Aires Rodrigues and seek clarification from Shri P.R. Nadkarni before we proceed,” Parrikar said.
According to Principal Secretary (Information and Publicity) R.K. Verma, Nadkarni was selected from a shortlist of three candidates made from a pool of 26 applicants.
In his petition, Rodrigues urged Goa Governor B.V. Wanchoo not to appoint Nadkarni as SIC in view of the lack of disclosures and clarity on his credentials.
–Indo-Asian news service
- Goa civil society activists object to governor's comments - Jun 09, 2012
- Goa governor, chief minister condole Deshmukh's death - Aug 14, 2012
- Cabinet induction of Goa's only woman minister in limbo - May 07, 2012
- Court asks Goa governor not to stall RTI queries - Jun 06, 2011
- Alina Saldanha's entry into Goa cabinet deferred - May 08, 2012
- Auction iron ore from Goa, CM told - Sep 10, 2012
- Supreme Court stays Goa information panel order - Dec 08, 2011
- Mining and casino-friendly Parrikar is like Chanakya: Congress - Aug 30, 2012
- Goa governor skips RTI hearing - Jan 04, 2011
- President's Goa visit was official, not private: RTI documents - Apr 23, 2011
- CAG official splurged on air fare, says Goa RTI activist - Aug 06, 2012
- Goa pulls out play from Shivaji Jayanti celebrations - Feb 22, 2011
- Identification jackets for journalists in Goa - Aug 19, 2010
- For Goa church, it's IFFI versus saint's feast - Oct 17, 2011
- Quote, unquote, misquote... travails of Digambar Kamat (Comment) - May 25, 2010
Tags: activist, allegations, chief minister, clarification, college of commerce, dempo, disclosures, glaring inconsistencies, goa government, higher secondary education, information commissioner, judicial authority, managing committee, nadkarni, peres, principal secretary, roadblock, selection process, shortlist, state information