Goa government bans Sri Rama SeneMarch 21st, 2009 - 10:48 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 21 (IANS) Goa Home Minister Ravi Naik Saturday said that the government has banned Sri Rama Sene in the state, even as a top official said he was not “sure about the ban”.
Naik said the ban on the Hindu outfit came into force from Saturday.
“The organisation has been banned in Goa. Anyone trying to start a branch of the Sri Rama Sene in Goa will be arrested,” Naik told a local cable TV news network.
He said the government had moved quickly in enforcing the ban, because of a political unanimity in the state against the outfit. “Even opposition leader from the Bharatiya Janata Party Manohar Parrikar had sought a ban on the Sri Rama Sene,” Naik said.
However chief secretary Anand Prakash said he was not aware of the ban. “I am not sure about it. I am not able to confirm the ban on the Sri Rama Sene,” Prakash told IANS.
The fringe Hindu group based in neighbouring Karnataka hit the spotlight in January after it attacked a group of women in a Mangalore pub on grounds that they were violating traditional Indian values.
In a public rally at Vengurla, 66 km from here, Sri Rama Sene leader Pramod Muthalik had said he had received several appeals from Goans to start a unit of his party to curb the pub culture in the coastal resort state.
Muthalik, who has nearly 45 cases against him and has been banned from entering Mangalore district for a year, said he was keen on setting up the Sene in Goa “to check the westernised way of life the state has grown used to”.
- Goa CM dismisses Sri Ram Sene chief as inconsequential - Jun 27, 2012
- Action against those inviting Muthalik to Goa: CM - Jul 18, 2012
- Muthalik will be arrested if he enters Goa: Parrikar (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Deal with Sri Rama Sene like a terror outfit, says Faleiro - Jun 25, 2012
- No religion for purpose of statecraft: Parrikar - Jun 13, 2012
- Goa shuts its doors to Sri Rama Sene and Muthalik - Mar 17, 2009
- Ram Sene should be monitored: Congress - Jun 21, 2012
- Sri Rama Sene will support Varun Gandhi: Pramod Muthalik - Mar 24, 2009
- Sri Ram Sene will not find any takers in Goa: Naik - Mar 17, 2009
- Muthalik may be banned from entering Goa - Mar 19, 2009
- Pramod Muthalik moves court against ban in Goa - Sep 23, 2009
- Goa may ban Muthalik's entry, BJP backs the move (Lead) - Mar 19, 2009
- Muthalik's Sri Ram Sene banned in South Goa - Apr 04, 2009
- Muthaliks Sri Rama Sene to support Varun Gandhi - Mar 24, 2009
- Sri Rama Sene not banned in Goa: official - Apr 03, 2009
Tags: anand prakash, bharatiya janata party, chief secretary, coastal resort, goa government, goans, group of women, hindu group, home minister, local cable tv, manohar parrikar, opposition leader, panaji, pramod, pub culture, public rally, ravi naik, sene, sri rama, traditional indian values