Goa court issues warrant againt Canada-based priestJune 14th, 2011 - 5:50 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, June 14 (IANS) A Goa court Tuesday issued an arrest warrant against a Roman Catholic priest at present serving at a church in Calgary, Canada, in connection with a criminal complaint he filed in 2004.
First Class Judicial Magistrate Sarika Faldessai issued the warrent Tuesday, directing the police to present Fr. Newton Rodrigues to the courtroom in order to facilitate his deposition in the trial against social activist Aires Rodrigues and 14 others.
The priest in 2004 filed a case against Aires Rodrigues and 14 others for intimidation and arson. But he failed to appear before the court to depose in connection with the case, forcing the magistrate to issue a warrant against him.
A similar warrant issued by the court last week was returned unserved by the Goa Police Crime Branch, claiming that it had been unable to serve it on the priest, who is currently in Calgary.
Newton Rodrigues was earlier in 2004 charged with molesting a 13-year-old girl in Goa. But the case was later closed by the police for lack of evidence.
- Goa court allows archbishop time to challenge summons - Aug 02, 2011
- Arrest warrants issued against Nirmal Baba - May 19, 2012
- Warrants against five in 1981 plane hijacking - Aug 31, 2012
- Kissing episode: Cases against Shilpa Shetty shifted to Mumbai - Nov 21, 2011
- More trouble for Kanda, could face charges in cheque bounce case - Aug 30, 2012
- Karnataka police to pay for Reddy brothers' clout - Aug 24, 2011
- Supreme Court stays Goa information panel order - Dec 08, 2011
- Bihar court seeks arrest of 11 Nepali Maoist leaders - Sep 15, 2011
- Goa debates priest's entry into poll politics - Jan 14, 2012
- Nupur Talwar moves Supreme Court against warrant (Second Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Court asks Goa governor not to stall RTI queries - Jun 06, 2011
- Police get more time to probe why Kanda ignored warrant - Aug 31, 2012
- Arrest warrant against four for insult to flag - Jun 30, 2011
- Fresh case registered against Gopal Kanda - Sep 06, 2012
- Pretti Jaiin rape case: Madhur Bhandarkar summoned Nov 14 - Oct 18, 2011
Tags: arrest warrant against, arson, calgary canada, courtroom, crime branch, criminal complaint, deposition, goa police, intimidation, judicial magistrate, june 14, lack of evidence, newton, old girl, police crime, rodrigues, roman catholic priest, social activist, warrent